Thread: Detroit Diesel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Automotive

Highway vehicles,Trucks AKA 18 wheelers are automotive. An easy way to identify is by model #'s the 4th deigit in the model # will tell you what application the engine was built for, this is in the General Information section of ALL the service manuals

Sorry, I misunderstood. Automotive vs marine bellhousing, both being SAE. I was thinking you meant automotive such as SM465/chevrolet bellhousing.

I just came up on a few 6v53's because of a re-power at work and I was considering dropping one in my '77 C30. I think it'd be hot. More of a novelty and not for any real hard core, serious towing more than 10k pounds. I pull a 7k pound skid steer and a 25' travel trailer occasionally. I just want something that will be a little better on fuel than my 454.

Any advice, ideas, encouragement or otherwise?

Anyone....

Thumbs up

Just do it!!
    Chevy Nova sedan 1977
    6.5 HD diesel/ 4L80e
    Gear drive timing set
    Ram air, E.P.S. stainless steel exhaust
    2.73 axle ratio/ 205-65-R15 tires
    new projeckt: Dodge W200 with Detroit 6V-92

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5NOVA View Post
    Just do it!!
    i agree.........i'd do it!!!!!!!!
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Back in the late 70's i was helped my boss put a 453 in a 77 4wd 1/2 ton suburban. The biggest problem we had was that the engine wasn't working hard enough and would glaze the cylinder walls. He used it as a dd and he pulled trailers often. He put a scraper engine in it first then he bought a brand new engine and we put it in, we had to tear it down after a couple of years and deglaze the cylinders. These engines want to work hard. It was a lot of work to install an a lot of BS to deal with, I had to make a custom oil pan to clear the front diff and we had to make are own bell housing, he used a chrysler 727 with a factory overdrive unit on the back of it, I think it was an od could have been a u/d (long time ago) anyway that was the only trans like that i ever seen.
    Good luck doing the conversion and I hope you still like detroits as much when you are finished, O yea invest in a good set of ear plugs because the don't call them screamin detroits for nuthin
    Good luck
    If I can be of any assistance let me know rhrepairs@aol .com
    Ron
    rhsub 99K2500 suburban 6.5 code F,4L80, 4:10, FSD cooler, DSG oil cooler and lines, Dtech FSD, injectors, Isspro egt, trans and boost guages, Bilistein shocks