Thread: looks like a failing PMD

Okay,it's time for me to get serious about looking for a new pmd unit.Could you guys point me in the right directionas to who to buy from,and if I can install it myself.That may sound silly but I have never had to touch this part and only know about it from reading other stories here.Symptoms are stalling.It started about a year ago,once in a blue moon stalling ,then it got more frequent,now its almost every day.The pump was replaced under warranty about 30,000 miles ago now its just out of warranty,at 123,000 mi.I use stanadyne additive regularly,and get good fuel at the same place always.I hope its just the pmd.
    98 k2500 ext. cab 6.5,4\" Pinnacle exhaust,K&N air filter,4.10 gears \'79 k-30 crew cab 4x4 I-6cyl. (gas) 4.56 gears

There is a complete discussion of trouble shooting and replacing the FSD/PMD in the Topics Section in the members area. The article is Solutions for 1994 or newer 6.5TD Stalling.
    '94 Suburban 2500 6.5L 2WD Trailer RPO
    '89 Reg. Cab 2500 6.2L 2WD Manual 4sp
    '83 Suburban 1500 6.2L 4WD 700R4
    '83 Blazer 1500 6.2L 4WD 700R4
    Miscellaneous Gassers

Thanks Hye,I will check that out.
    98 k2500 ext. cab 6.5,4\" Pinnacle exhaust,K&N air filter,4.10 gears \'79 k-30 crew cab 4x4 I-6cyl. (gas) 4.56 gears

My bet is it is only the FSD causing you grief. I recently installed a new one on a heat sink located in front of the drivers side battery. I installed a temperature sensor to the FSD and right now it seems to run between 60-70 degrees F, rarely over 80 F. It seems to be getting cool air through a hole behind the headlight, however in extended idle periods or slow moving traffic I have seen the temps over 110. I'm thinking there must be some air re-circulation around the oil coolers in front of the radiator. As outside temps increase over the next couple months I may be forced to move the cooler to a different spot. I'll keep monitoring. [img]smile.gif[/img] I think the life of the FSD will be extended if it is kept as cool as possible.

Kowsoc,thanks for the reply.I will be calling Kennedy or someone to see if I can get one.Is it simply a plug-n-play type deal,or is it much more complex?I'm pretty sure I can handle it,but have never dealt with this issue,and am not even sure exactly where it is,although I think its right on top of the pump.