Thread: Oil Pressure

Angry Oil Pressure

I'm starting to notice when I start my 2001 EXT Cab Duramax that the oil pressure gauge is slow to come up and when the low oil light in the message center comes on the oil pressure gauge jumps up and the light goes out. This has always happened follwing an oil change but to do it know between changes concerns me. It only happens on initial start up of the day and has done it after the truck as sit for several days but also has done it after only one night. Is the oil pump lossing prime? do I have a major problem developing? The truck has 78,000 miles and runs fine.

Arrow

Could be a weak anti-drainback valve in the filter. You aren't using Fram, are you?? It could happen with any of them. Also, the oil level sensor is known to fail on ocasion with high miles. Removal, cleaning and reinstallation usually cures it for a good while.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I miss analog gauges. You know the ones that actually MEASURE the pressure themselves rather than thru a sending unit...

I don't know if it is possible, but you might be able to put an analog gauges on and see if, in fact, the sending unit for oil pressure is bad. I would imagine that if you pressure is really bad your motor should be making strange noises and running different.
    2007 Silverado, 3500HD, 4X4, CC, Long Bed, SRW, LMM Diesel, Navi, DVD, Roll-N-Lock Cover, ICI Running Boards, CoastalEtech GM Lockpick for DVD/Nav changes in Motion, Back-up Camera...

2006.5 VW Jetta Special Edition TDI - Blue Graphite - European Spec VW Fact. Nav Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Could be a weak anti-drainback valve in the filter.
    ditto. You should not be able to blow any air through the threaded hole. I use baldwin. it seems to have good internals for anti-drainback.
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

custom stock intake, upsized boost tubes, Pre-turbo WMI, EFILive custom tune, Aerotech Scan Gauges.

Go Smokeless!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
    I'm starting to notice when I start my 2001 EXT Cab Duramax that the oil pressure gauge is slow to come up and when the low oil light in the message center comes on the oil pressure gauge jumps up and the light goes out. This has always happened follwing an oil change but to do it know between changes concerns me. It only happens on initial start up of the day and has done it after the truck as sit for several days but also has done it after only one night. Is the oil pump lossing prime? do I have a major problem developing? The truck has 78,000 miles and runs fine.
    The last time I heard this I told the party to remove the POS Fram filter and put a good filter on. I was right on both counts. It was a Fram and it was the problem...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!