Thread: Dodge Intercooler installation in the 90's trucks.

Arrow Dodge Intercooler installation in the 90's trucks.

Installing a 1998-2002 Dodge or 2001-2006 Duramax intercooler (charge air cooler) in a 90's truck or Suburban is entirely possible, as the following images show. I bought the used Dodge CAC off eBay for $175. I might have gone with a Duramax CAC, but used ones weren't available at the time, and I didn't want to spend the $700 for a new one (to cut up and experiment with - this had not been done before).

The above image shows the modified Dodge CAC installed, but without the A/C condenser or hood latch bracket mods. I chose to route the inlet and outlet to outside the box sections of the radiator core support. This required widening the inlet/outlets, while positioning them as close the core support as possible to gain park light clearance. I still lost the inner bulbs of each park light assy.

If doing this again, I'd probably cut the end tanks completely off the CAC core and then fabricate new 1/8" aluminum tanks and in/outlets that better hugged the radiator core support - to provide more clearance.

The above image shows the modified hood latch bracket, that allowed clearance for the A/C condenser. The rectangular tubing extends upward on the backside of the original hood latch bracket, to provide additional support. The hood latch bracket doubles as a clamp, to firmly hold the CAC against the core support. Cushioning strips prevent the CAC from rubbing against the core support or shifting position. Welded-on tabs could also work well.

The radiator is in the stock location using the stock mounts, and the diagonal bracing tubes located just ahead of the radiator are in their factory location.

You'll also notice that the top four tubes in the condenser have been removed. A/C performance doesn't seem to be affected. The completed system blows cold.

New steel flat stock condenser mounts were made to work with the new location. Vibration and cushioning tape was sandwiched between the condenser and the CAC.

Some theorize that a CAC in this location could compound the problem some experience with 6.5 cooling. Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. If I were building a performance 6.5, I'd try it.

As you know, this CAC system is being used in Lil Red, which is running an LB7 Duramax with up to 35 psi boost pressure. I've put about 6,000 miles on the truck since these mods. No problems yet. It made 632 horsepower on a chassis dyno in June 2007, so the charge air flow is certainly there....

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 07-20-2007 at 10:58.

Default Sweet

That is a nice setup . Very well done if you ask me.
    The only thing that confused me on your setup is that you have the stock hood bracket in the first pics and in the last pic it shows the modified hood braket. Maybe I missed something.
    Maybe a finished picture without the grill again with the ac installed would be the ticket. I think that is where I got lost.
    95 suburban 2500 4x4
    6bt
    47 re
    under construction

6.5 parts for sale
    http://home.dejazzd.com/jkauto/6.5%20PARTS%20PAGE.htm

MY SUBURBAN INFO HERE

The middle & last pics above are the finished shots - without the grille. The IC is behind the condenser.

Jim

Ah Ha!
    Thanks Jim!
    I didn't get it the first time, but that helps.
    96 Suburban K2500 6.5L TD. High miles and daily driven (for now). Remote mount FSD with cooler, Turbo Master/Boost fooler, 4" Jardine turbo back exhaust, 2.5" cross-over pipe, Boost, EGT, & Tranny temp gauges, working on more.