Thread: How much do you like your 6.5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I just turned 350,000 km last week on a 1000 km trip. Anyone else feel like they know the truck by feel? This truck feels like it's got a lot of life left. She fires right up, runs strong and smooth.
    My buddy Grant, who was a member a couple years ago and told me of the value of TDP, had a 94 3500 dually extracab 5 spd when I had a Dodge cummins with no proper hitch. His truck had the Heath TurboMaster, MaxE Tork and 3.5" exhaust when I borrowed it to haul my 1979 27' Travel Trailer 500 kms up the Coquihalla. That sucker ran like a hotrod!
    A couple years later I sold the low-mile Dodge in favour of my high-mile Chev and I couldn't be happier.
    This is a truck that I could grow old with.....unless I can talk my wife into a crewcab down the road!
    Brett
    2005 GMC Sierra SLT Dually Crew, 4x4, stock
    71,000 kms

Thumbs up

I like Robyn's idea for a thread like this. All too often, the problems people have overshadow the good stories we know are out there. I received the following email message today from a fellow 6.5 owner that I'd like to share. Jim

I was reading a few things on your page about your 6.5TD power project, and I read that you put 200,000 miles on it in seven years. I love my 6.5, it’s a 97 3500 dually, and in 10 years I have put 425,000 miles on mine. I've only replaced glow plugs, filters, one starter, batteries, fuel pump (not the injector pump) and the radiator (took a hit from a rock one day). It still runs like a champ and I'll run it until it hits the ground.

Sincerely,
    Rob from NC
    Rob might send a few photos. If he does, I'll post them...

I wrote this about my truck last September, here in TDP:

Quote Originally Posted by KallyI View Post
    I made a few changes to my truck this year, I completed the intercooler and gauge installation, put a 3" crossover pipe in, a 3" turbo downpipe, and Kennedy's boost controller.
    Wow!!!, what a difference pulling a load. Places where the PCM pulled fuel, The engine temp went up, and Lord knows what my EGT was, plus I lost about 25-35 mph, (belching black smoke), I can now go up, and maintain my speed, or possibly lose 3-5 mph,, with no smoke. Some hills I can even gain speed if I want or need to. I've put about 4,000 miles on in this configuration, and I am very pleased. I haven't seen an EGT temperature over 1000
    I still feel that way about it!
    1997 Chevy K2500 E/C Auto - K & N Filter, 3" exhaust, no cat. Midas Flowmaster muffler, Kennedy ECM, Peninsular Diesel Marine upper intake manifold, 3-gauge 'B' Pillar gauge pod, Autometer Phantom gauges, Boost, EGT, and Tranny temp. Homemade air/air intercooler setup, with puller fan. Phazer Gear timing, Fluidampr harmonic balancer, 250,000 kms.
    2009 25' Springdale 5th wheel trailer
    1978 Z28 4sp Camaro (in middle of restoring it)
    1963 Dodge 2 dr. Hdtp., Model 440 (will be a Max Wedge clone)
    1979 GL1000 (Honda Goldwing)

Maybe we can make this thread STICKY (Hint Hint)

This thread so far is doing just what I thought it might.

So many happy people out there that own 6.5 powered rigs and drive the wheels off of them.

If GM offered them again as an option I'll bet there would be folks standing in line to get one. Me

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Good Day!

"If GM offered them again as an option I'll bet there would be folks standing in line to get one." In a Sub - yessir. Well, after someone else had put ~ 150K miles on it, so I could afford it.

Blessings!
    (signature in previous post)

Love it so much bought a second 6.5 so now I have 2 C1500 Burb & K1500 truck
    Tim, 98GM K1500 6.5TD(L56/L65), Heath PCM,3.73 gear,4L80 tr,4" exh,Amz air filt&dual oil flts, Heath remote FSD, TDO-7 clone turbo, Heath fan clutch,mandrel crossover, pilar gage BST/EGT/TRN, remote elec fan tran cool,alum trn pan

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tbogemirep View Post
    Love it so much bought a second 6.5 so now I have 2 C1500 Burb & K1500 truck
    I agree. I like my truck so much that I'm thinking about getting a short wheelbase SUV (Blazer/Yukon/Tahoe) with a 6.5 for my wife. If the 6.5 is such a horrible engine, why are there so many around?
    1998 K1500 Silverado Ext Cab SB 6.5TD L56 4L80E 342 locking rear - 60k miles
    Modifications: Ported and ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, worked GM-8 turbo, L65 upper and lower intake, marine injectors, boost, EGT, and Trans Temp gauges, SSDiesel air intake, Hearthrob/SSDiesel stainless 3in down pipe, 4in exhaust, and 2.25 crossover.
    Planned: Remapped ECU, intercooler, turbomaster, fluidamper, fan/clutch upgrade, upgraded oil cooler and lines, and lift.