Thread: LMM Regen Fuel Consumtion

Default LMM Regen Fuel Consumtion

Can't believe how much extra fuel the truck dumps during a regen. Those of us that have them know the mileage goes down when driving. Welp, I got a good look at how bad today. Yesterday when I shut down, apparently I was in the middle of a regen (I could tell when I stepped out and the truck smelled hot and it had that amonia/bleach smell as well) I started the truck and I reset the avg. mpg and fuel consumption on the DIC. I stopped at my favorite farm stores to get some milk for the little ones and scrolled thru the DIC.

I have burned .5 GAL in less than 1 mile! I've made it from the farm stores home without the DIC registering .1 Gal burned... The avg. mpg didn't go over 6 MPG until AFTER the regen cycle had completed and I am at 11.8 now having driven 18 miles in city traffic. I am usually around 14, so it did start to make it up.

Just food for thought....
    2007 Silverado, 3500HD, 4X4, CC, Long Bed, SRW, LMM Diesel, Navi, DVD, Roll-N-Lock Cover, ICI Running Boards, CoastalEtech GM Lockpick for DVD/Nav changes in Motion, Back-up Camera...

2006.5 VW Jetta Special Edition TDI - Blue Graphite - European Spec VW Fact. Nav Radio.

The other thing that scares those of us that work in agriculture, hunt or do anything else offroad is that hot smell you speak of. What if I'm out in a customers field and start a fire? When we first got cats on the gassers in the '80s they were a problem. With my '98 454 after many checks I never worried about it. The cats were shaped to shed stuff and did not get as hot as earlier ones. Now we have DPFs. I haven't heard or even read first hand reports of Dmaxes being a problem but I have of the Dodge and Fords. It's not a risk I'm willing to take.
    2002 Chev D/A CC LB - it's gone

If I worked in AG I would be scared of them too... If I park on my grass at home I can tell you where the DOC and DPF are located by the BURNED grass. This is if I just park and shut the truck off. I could only imagine if I left the truck idling. A 2WD would be even worse. Although stock, my 4x4 is fairly high off of the ground. (The 3500 4x4 seems just as high as the 2500 4x4 Z71 and I had to "step up" to get in before the running boards were put on)

As you previously stated, many gas cars have left burned grass behind too. Although a car is not meant to haul hay and work in the field off road, like a truck.

I hate to think that it would take a disaster to get this looked at. Unfortunately, I don't have a pyrometer to tell the radiant heat difference between a truck with and without a DPF only that it must be hot if the manufacturers had to design a special exhaust tip to cool things off...
    2007 Silverado, 3500HD, 4X4, CC, Long Bed, SRW, LMM Diesel, Navi, DVD, Roll-N-Lock Cover, ICI Running Boards, CoastalEtech GM Lockpick for DVD/Nav changes in Motion, Back-up Camera...

2006.5 VW Jetta Special Edition TDI - Blue Graphite - European Spec VW Fact. Nav Radio.