Thread: steering issues continue

Default steering issues continue

I wrote in awhile back regarding steering sensitivity with my 89 suburban. Since then I have worked through the front end steering components. I replaced the steering gear box with a AGR gear box (not impressed) and replaced the inner and outer wheel bearings on both sides. The steering feels more sensitive than it did before. I have adjusted the gear box adjustment, but all it seems to due is stiffen up the return after turning. It has not helped with the tracking. I was wondering if there is a way to adjust the amount of assist from the power steering pump or at the gear box, or if there is any aftermarket equipment that would help. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

You mention steering box and wheel bearings, but as asked in your last post - what about tie rod ends, pitman and idler arms, alignment, and tires?

On my '93 I just went through and replaced the pitman and idler arms, tie rod ends, and had everything aligned and it definitely handles like a different animal now.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Check EVERY part of the steering system - the coupler between column and gearbox, drag link, tie rod ends, idler arm if a 2WD, and the tapered sockets that the tie rod and drag link ends fit into. I once had a tapered socket repaired by a welder for about $50 while I had the knuckle off to do ball joints, but you can find NOS CUCV parts on the web pretty cheaply too.

Take it to a good alignment shop and see what they can do, too. I go to Sears because they do a good job and no matter where I am I can get warranty service.
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.

Default More problems

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up taking the suburban in to get an alignment. I received a call from the tire shop, they said that they could not align it, because the steering box mounting bolts were lose and that the frame was cracking where the steering box mounts up. I found a company on-line (offroaddesign.com) that sells a welding repair kit ($75.00) for frames that are cracking and a steering box gusset kit to prevent frame cracking ($120.00). Once these items arrive, I will repair the frame and head back to the alignment shop. I know that most of my play was from the steering box being lose. I tightened it down and it already steers a lot better. I still have a bit of play, but I am sure that the problem does exist in the front end. I will respond back with the final verdict. Thanks again for all the help.

Brian

tracking is usually a caster issue, Do you have any lift on your truck???

If your truck has been lifted than the tracking issues mean the axle needs to shimmed. you need to tilt the back side of the axle down a few degrees. you can buy shims that you put between the springs and the mounts to do this.
    1985 M1008
    (k30 for the civi' minded people)
    my photo album
    6.2L (banks turbo installed)
    6" suspension lift
    38.5" ground hawg radials on H1 double-beadlocks
    cross-over steering
    rear disc brakes