Thread: N00b looking for a replacement transmission

1. Default N00b looking for a replacement transmission

My 82 diesel Suburban's transmission died yesterday ... flakey behavior for a few days, and now it barely moves when the engine is revved.

It is a 6.2L K10 4x4, 3.73 rear, it looks like a 4 speed overdrive ( PRND123 ).

What type and year of used transmission should I be looking for to replace it? Would something other than an identical replacement be a better idea?

First off

Welcome to TDP

700R4 is the box
    You can use any 700R4 up though about 90 the issue is the governor must be for a diesel and the tranny needs to have been a V8 unit. The units set up for V6 applications wont cut it.
    The tranny also must be from a 4x4

I would suggest you hunt for a "K" case these have a large K on the outside of the bell housing.
    The other issue is the controls that were used to run the lockup of the converter

There is no less than 19 different wiring configs that have been used on the 700 maybe more.

The controls for the lockup can be swapped from yours to a newer unit though to keep all that stuff working right.

Stay away from 700's that were made before 87. The 88-90 models are the ticket as they had many of the good upgrades done.
    The real late stuff is all electronic and will not work without a computer.

You may want to save yourself a load of grief and just get a rebuilt from one of the many shops that offer good performance boxes.

We can get you though this so just keep us posted.

Glad to have you on board

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

3. Default

So ... any recommendations for rebuilt vendors?