Quote Originally Posted by jmoser View Post
It is not clear to me what you mean by 'increase the flow' across the sensor ? ?

Do you mean that you would somehow 'trick' the sensor into sending the same signal it does now at higher flow rates? Why would you ever want to do that?

The MAF is a Mass Air Flow sensor - it corrects for changes in air density due to humidty, altitude, and temperature to give an accurate measurement of the mass of air flowing [Kg per minute, etc.] in order to meter the proper amount of fuel through the injectors to maintain the correct air-fuel ratio.

If what you mean is to physically increase the flow by removing restrictions, etc. then there should be no problem as long as you do not exceed the range of air flow that the MAF sensor was calibrated for. Not all sensors are universal - many have upper and lower limits, too high or too low and you will not get accurate readings.

The MAF is one of the crucial inputs to proper fueling of any engine - it would be the last thing I would ever mess with.
This post actually stems from another "LBZ Hot and Loss of Power", in which there were some good responses but not a lot of direction for what to do to find out what was causing such a loss of towing power.
One response from a Banks Tech led to a phone conversation with same; and the basic recomendation was to relocate the MAF. He said that Banks had had some problems with their intake system in developement and found that when they located the MAF in the bend just before the turbo tract, and on the outside of the bend that they found good power gains and also found that the EGR valve pretty much stayed closed all the time.
Fact or not I though it was something to check out and try; if I could get any other insight that seemed favorable.
The position of the MAF on my LBZ (others too I assume) is on the inside of the first bend past the filter box. In this position the main velocity of course is on the opposite side of the intake tube; as with any hydraulic action the inside of any bend has a lower velocity than the outside. Depending on the configuration a vaccum can actually occur on an inside of a bend at some flow rates. (In chill water systems sometimes to the exent of air pockets and pump cavitation given the right proximity.)
In any case it seems that Banks by their repositioning has increase the flow at the MAF dramatically. How does that work?----and is it possible that this could actually effect the EGR. Seems that the consenses here is that it could not.
I'm still looking for the power loss----Killer Bee says I'm on a ghost hunt!!! But this ghost sure has some real power drawbacks---hot too.