Thread: MAF flow effects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If there is anyone out there who knows the voltage readings for the EGR valve and what wire to tap on to I'd still love to have the info.
    Also I think its good for all of us to know that if we are in need of some good hot water while out in our trucks (for coffee, tea or whatever) all we have to do is stick a cup in the filter box, and bingo you get boiling water!! Whoops, almost forgot, this only works in "extreme conditions" like er driving thru Hell; and I guess you wouldn't be needing that boiling water there anyway---sorry.

Although the truck is running much better now I am still getting MAF codes which I would like to take care of, other than letting the Edge cancel them with each start up. Wonder what effects the Finger Stick would have on that or if it can only be taken care or by remapping which I don't want to go to that alternative. Probably need some help from Kennedy or Finger here. Still need some info in order to monitor the EGR valve position to evaluate the need or not for the blocker plate.

Question Loss of throttle response after moving MAF sensor.

This post seems interesting to me especially since it involved discussions around Bank's recommendations. I installed a Banks Ram Air Intake system and noticed a loss in off the line throttle response. I was wondering if relocating the MAF as required with the Bank's system was the cause of this. I spoke with a Bank's tech and they claimed I should have noticed an increase in throttle response. They have not offered much of assistance in troubleshooting my problem. I was thinking of trying to modify the Bank's system to relocate my MAF closer to where it originally was. If this doesn't work, I plan on removing the Banks Ram Air intake and going back to stock with the K&N. Has anyone had this experience or can give me some advice?

DieselMax403
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab SLT D/A, Banks TLC Stinger Kit, Stock XM Radio, Wheel-to-Wheel Go Rhino Chrome Step Bars, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Line-X Bedliner, 265/75 E REVO AT's on 16 x 8 Weld Cheyenne 8 Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAX403 View Post
    This post seems interesting to me especially since it involved discussions around Bank's recommendations. I installed a Banks Ram Air Intake system and noticed a loss in off the line throttle response. I was wondering if relocating the MAF as required with the Bank's system was the cause of this. I spoke with a Bank's tech and they claimed I should have noticed an increase in throttle response. They have not offered much of assistance in troubleshooting my problem. I was thinking of trying to modify the Bank's system to relocate my MAF closer to where it originally was. If this doesn't work, I plan on removing the Banks Ram Air intake and going back to stock with the K&N. Has anyone had this experience or can give me some advice?

DieselMax403
    If you want to try relocating the MAF to a more stock position on the Banks system it is very easy. Just opposite of what I did with the stock setup. Take a 1 3/8" hole saw and on a bench grinder grind down the outside area of the teeth until the OD is about 1 11/32"; this makes a cleaner and tighter hole. Drill the hole where you want it in the air box housing and install a grommet in the hole that will accept the MAF and provide a very tight fit; with this set up you can actually rotate the sensor into any orientation you want in relation to the air flow. I found this orientation thing to change performance pretty dramatically. The grommet I used was by Spectre Performance for 1 1/4" filler hole, I think it was for used as spark plug wire guides???? Sorry I don't have enough of the package left to provide a part #, think the Guy got it from the dress up section at the Auto zone I was at looking for a grommet with an ID hole that was big enough. The fit will bevery tight but that is what you need. Good luck, I'd like to hear about the results.
    My problems aren't solved yet----still looking and have another Edge on the way---my MAF back to the stock position even though it ran so much better ---I didn't like all the constant coding, and no-one seemed to acknowledge how or why in regards to the power increase, much less have any ideas on fixing the codes with the MAF in such an unorthodox position. Oh well.