Thread: broke my 4wd

Default broke my 4wd

I need some help on where to start to look at my 4wd. Its a 97 1500. So I get stuck and the 4wd is working and then a pretty loud bang goes off and loose my front wheel drive. It is a console shift and it still turns the light on when it is engaged and it will still go into low range. Just nobody home up front. The cv's are still intact and so is the front drive shaft. Front diff or transfer case problem? any ideas? No grinding or clinking sounds after the bang just no 4wd.
    97 1500 code s stocker with 1/2 a millions kms on original engine

try jacking up front end and engaging 4wd system and turning wheels by hand, to see if everything turns back to the transfer case. If both wheels turn opposite and drive shaft turn--transfer case problem. If only one wheel turns-- possible diff problem or broken axle on the side.
    1985 K1500-sold
    79 dually 4x4-soon to have modified 6.2/6.5l turbo
    1996 shortbox-extended cab 2WD 1500 6.5L

ok only one wheel turns. so Im guess the diff is toast. Does the axel in the diff on the long side ever break? or is there any week links in the front diff?

wsa your steering cranked at the time of the big bang? A very common 4wd breakage is a CV/U-joint braking when steering is turned.

Put it in 4wd crawl underneath and try to turn the front driveshaft. If it turns then it is in your T-case. If it doesn't then it is in the axle assembly. Good luck, and don't forget the most important diagnostic tool of all, the look, and the wiggle. Look at each component you can and give them each a wiggle (Nothing gets a mecahnic out of their shop faster than when you go to pick up a rig, and start the look and wiggle in their parking lot Especially when you find multiple things wiggly, and not looking right )
    1995 Chevy Silverado ext cab, long bed.
    6.5 Turbo diesel with lots of miles
    Using to pull 4-horse trailer, and jeeps

Mods:
    HO water pump single T-Stat @ 235K
    Remote mounted FSD @ 237K

Other Rides:
    1972 cj5 Homemade TBI on a old 350 (it's my wannabe rock-crawler)
    Three Willy's Wagons, One runs, one could run, and one is a total basket case.....kinda like me

it was the inner axle shaft on the long side. seems to have caused no other damage got kinda lucky i iguess.

that was a neat breakage, lucky you

you should go and get some lottery tickets aswell ......
    1991 CK2500, 6.2 banks turbo, FourtGear built TH700R4, Dick Cepek 6.5" lift, 35" wheels