Thread: my first diesel

Default my first diesel

Hey, this is my first diesel pick up truck, however I have driven a few diesel cars when I lived in Europe. All the time I owned gas cars with minimum maintenance so last month I decided to buy a old diesel truck. I don't know much about diesel maintenance but I'd like to learn more. Some my questions looks weird to you, but I don't deny - I've got little knowledge right now but I'm trying to learn something.
    I bought and drove the truck in/from Washington, 2000 miles to Illinois; transmission went out, I had to replace it, needs some TLC, but I think that everything will be OK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1984 GMC High Sierra, 4x4, 6.2 L N/A

Slick looking old truck - does it have a 700R4 tranny?
    2002 Pewter 2500HD D/A EC SB 4wd Warn 12K SOLD! 103k miles
    2007 White 2500HD CC SB LBZ 4wd Warn 12K Stock

Nice. I haven't see too many regular cab, short box diesels around.
    1998 K1500 Silverado Ext Cab SB 6.5TD L56 4L80E 342 locking rear - 60k miles
    Modifications: Ported and ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, worked GM-8 turbo, L65 upper and lower intake, marine injectors, boost, EGT, and Trans Temp gauges, SSDiesel air intake, Hearthrob/SSDiesel stainless 3in down pipe, 4in exhaust, and 2.25 crossover.
    Planned: Remapped ECU, intercooler, turbomaster, fluidamper, fan/clutch upgrade, upgraded oil cooler and lines, and lift.

Talking

Yes, there is 700 R4 overdrive, it's 4x4 truck. I was looking for step side model but that kind of truck is very hard to find so I ended with shortbox fleetside model...

Nice looking truck. Where are you in IL?
    1993 K3500 - Peninsular 18:1 engine, marine injectors, high capacity cooling, AL Core Radiator, 3" DP and 4" exhaust, ISSPRO Gauges, Girdle, AMSOIL Dual Oil Filter System, 1997 Air Filter(trashed the K&N), 395K on Body, 165k on engine.
    1997 GMC Savana - 6.5 TD
    1966 CJ5 - V6 Gas - highly modified
    1967 Jeepster - Stock
    1986 Jeep CJ7 - Stock
    1993 Grand Cherokee - 6.2 diesel
    2007 Grand Cherokee - 3.0 diesel

Chicago
    I've seen personally nice looking restored 1982/3?? Chevy stepside diesel (1987 engine 30 000 miles, manual trans) in Germantown, WI, but I didn't buy er.
    I saw GMC truck on craigslist (WA) so I went for it. Unfortunately auto trans was shot while I was driving back home so I had to pay much more I expected Right now I replaced water pump (I mean my friend - I have to learn a lot to became a good "home mechanic") and I'm thinking of little TLC (interior).

Looks like a clean vintage truck - you can get the door hinge bushings from GM to cure the sagging door(s) - remove the hinge, grind the upset off the hinge-pin, remove the pin, 1/8" drill for cotter key - remove\replace the bushings, in with the pin, set the key, do the second hinge, and yer good to go - doors open\close like new

Sometimes the upset can be removed with a small chisel, without removing the hinges - much less work
    jd
    '96 Dodge 3500HD cc 2wd drw............'89 GMC 3500 cc 4wd drw
    5.9 12v #10TST 6sp SBC13-1.375.......6.5TD EFI maxEtorq v2.0 DSG
    DODGE makes it CUMMINS shakes it.....4L80E 205 4.10 Dana60\70HD
    6 in a row makes it go.......................Grandpa's big truck

In my humble opinion, the short bed fleetside looks much nicer than the stepsides. Looks like the body is in pretty good shape. Keep an eye out for rust in the cab corners, rocker panels, rear wheelwells, and rear light pockets. All 81-87s(73-80 as well) rot in those areas eventually. I got rid of my 87 because it would have cost less to buy another truck than to replace all of the bad panels. Keep ahead of the rust and she should hold up a very long time.

Mike
    Modifications: Ported and ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, worked GM-8 turbo, L65 upper and lower intake, marine injectors, boost, EGT, and Trans Temp gauges, SSDiesel air intake, Hearthrob/SSDiesel stainless 3in down pipe, 4in exhaust, and 2.25 crossover.
    Planned: Remapped ECU, intercooler, turbomaster, fluidamper, fan/clutch upgrade, upgraded oil cooler and lines, and lift.

Yes, these trucks can be very rusty...
    when i saw mine I was surprised - there is absolutely no rust (body, frame) and paint is original - the truck had to be garage kept all the time I suppose.

Talking

I'm jealous.

Hi
    Great looking classic,in a few more years you will draw a crowd everywhere you drive it.
    If you plan on keeping it,and it is rust free,you should look into getting it protected by a rustproffing company like ziebart .
    Thats what i get done to my keepers if they start rustfree.
    Costs a few bucks,but i think it helps.
    Enjoy your classic
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews