Thread: ABS Brakes work better when I pull the fuse!

Default ABS Brakes work better when I pull the fuse!

I was nearly home today and decided to pull the ABS fuse to see if the brakes worked any better without it. The difference was chalk and cheese. The brakes work so much better with the fuse pulled. Also the pedal would go to the floor with ABS but with fuse pulled the wheels would lock.

Surely there must be some way of getting similar braking capacity with the fuse in and the ABS working.

What is wrong?

ano
    Noel

1998 (Badge Re-engineered)RHD GM-Holden Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 150k miles, Turbo Diesel 583Nm 200Hp, New 4L80E, 3.73:1, Rebulit T/case with New Housing, standard 245's factory 6.5" wheels. No Mods. Car Code OBDII interface with Enhanced GM data, test & command modes, data logging, live data etc.

Toyota HZJ80 Landcruiser 4.2L Turbo Diesel, 195k miles, 430Nm 210Hp. Mitsubishi Water Cooled Turbo, Through bonnet Intercooler, Advanced timing and increased fuelling, 12 psi boost, Boost gauge and post Turbo pyrometer. 5 Spd Manual.

do you have ABS light on with the fuse in?
    2003 CHEVY 4500 DURAMAX/ALLISON 14'
    SERVICE CRANE BODY 16,500 LBS 14.5 MPG
    1998 K3500 SRW CREW CAB TRANSPLANTED 6.5TD ELECTROINC INTO, HEATH COMPUTER, 40+HP INJECTORS, 4" EXHAUST, VACUUM ELEMTINATOR ON TURBO,UPGRADED COOLING WITH ALL GM PARTS,NO VACUUM PUMP, SST OIL COOLER LINES MADE LOCALY FRACTION OF THE COST, 3" TOURBO/BOOST GAUSGE ALL IN ONE, ADDED GEAR DRIVE GREAT HELP WITH STARTING TIME DOESN'T JUMP AROUND ANY MORE, INTERCOOLER 3" INLET AND OUTLET COOLER 12x24x4, ALSO ADDED MANDEL BENT CROSS OVER, HAD TRUCK REPAINTED AND OPUT ON ALUM FLAT BED

Default What t-case do you have AutoTrac, or?

What t-case?
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

Smile

Standard T/case (not Auto trac) ABS light is not on with the fuse in. Ignition on selftest OK.

After the last post I jacked up LHF wheel and disconnected the sensor and tested with DVM to see what sort of reading I could get. But how fast do you need to spin the wheel because the reading gets higher the faster you spin the wheel. I was able to get a reading higher than 350Mv but from memory I don't remember how high the readings got. (my memeory is clouded with info read whilst surfing the WEB)

Next day tested the brake and for the first time, since I have had the vehicle, I could actualy hear squeeling type noises from the from front wheels when ABS activated. The braking is much improved. Now this is what I am used to with ABS, but why all of a sudden a difference.

I decided to do some Surfing (WEB) to see if any other similar problems or solutions are mentioned.

I found an interesting post that mentioned what a private mechanic did when presented with a GM ABS truck exhibiting the same symptoms as mine and other vehicles I have read about on this forum. The owner of this vehicle had previously taken the vehicle to a GM dealer with no joy. (Maybe this is your problem too Robyn)

Apparently according to the mecxhanic, the ABS system has an automatic Air purging system that sometimes does not work. He removed the Master Cylinder and substituted the push rod for one that was 3/16 inch longer. They then drove the vehicle until the brakes started to lock up. They then changed back to the original pushrod and hey presto the brakes worked properly.

I am wondering whether I still had some air in the system that wasn't purged. (I have had the brake bled more than Twice by a GM dealer with no difference in braking capacity) When I removed the fuse and got the brakes to lock up perhaps this has purged the air from the system causing the brakes to operate correctly when the fuse was replaced.

Robyn I would be interested to see if, after you tried this, you noticed a difference with the ABS on your truck.

I think I might be on to something but is any of this new information to any of you?

The only other thing I can think of is that there was a faulty connection where I unpluged the sensor. I don't think this is the case though as my vehicle would have been experiencing other symptoms.
    Last edited by noelb; 09-09-2007 at 19:59. Reason: grammar
    Noel

1998 (Badge Re-engineered)RHD GM-Holden Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 150k miles, Turbo Diesel 583Nm 200Hp, New 4L80E, 3.73:1, Rebulit T/case with New Housing, standard 245's factory 6.5" wheels. No Mods. Car Code OBDII interface with Enhanced GM data, test & command modes, data logging, live data etc.

Toyota HZJ80 Landcruiser 4.2L Turbo Diesel, 195k miles, 430Nm 210Hp. Mitsubishi Water Cooled Turbo, Through bonnet Intercooler, Advanced timing and increased fuelling, 12 psi boost, Boost gauge and post Turbo pyrometer. 5 Spd Manual.

The brakes on my 94 Burb are firm and feel fine but the stopping power is not there.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Robyn,

The stopping power wasn't there either for mine a couple of days ago, but for some reason it's there now. If you push real hard on the pedal, whilst stationary, engine running, does the pedal go to the floor on your truck? I can't say that I have tested mine since brakes have improved but it would disappear to the floor under hard braking even after having the brakes bled twice by GM.

Just curious. I'm trying to nail this one down to something.
    Noel

Arrow

Hydroboost systems will allow the pedal to go to the floor with enough foot pressure. You should hear and feel some hydraulic growling/hissing during the process.

ABS makes diagnosing MC problems difficult. You could have a bad MC, being masked by the ABS activity.

Have a look at THIS THREAD. Different truck model, but the operation is the same.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I pulled the fuse on my ABS in the Yukon when it felt like the ABS was coming on during normal braking. It worked fine after that. I took it to a tire shop (that works on brakes) and had it checked out. They said that the ABS computer was getting a signal that the wheels were locking up. They couldn't be sure where the problem was. I brought it to the stealer who diagnosed it as the wheel hub. They explained the hub was wearing out and taking the tolerances for the wheel sensor were way out causing the ABS to engage. I had the hub replaced and low and behold no more ABS problem..
    Phil
    2007 Metallic Blue GMC Crew Cab 2500HD LBZ Allison. 70K mi, 255/85r16 tires.

1996 GMC 2Dr 4wd Yukon 190k mi, 3.42 rear end, 265/75r16 tires, 4l80e, 97 cooling mod, D-max fan blade, Hayden Severe duty fan clutch, Autometer Boost EGT Tranny temp, JK's 3.5 exhaust.

Reno NV.

swapping out a plunger would just kill the seals in the MC, since it would travel further than the other plunger and might hit some junk in the bore, also you have to completely bleed the brakes when you swap a MC, let alone bench bleed it.

if you have squishy brakes the internal lining of the soft brake lines may have collapsed, I went to SS braided lines on my truck and OMG what a different. huge change in pedal firmness. and to my knowledge there is no self bleeding mechanism in the ABS system, you just have to be careful when you bleed them so the system doesnt activate, so you can get all the air out.
    1985 M1008
    (k30 for the civi' minded people)
    my photo album
    6.2L (banks turbo installed)
    6" suspension lift
    38.5" ground hawg radials on H1 double-beadlocks
    cross-over steering
    rear disc brakes