Thread: new transfer case.

Default new transfer case.

I would like to run a driver-side output transfer case in my 82 chevy which currently has a 700r4 trans with 208 t-case. I am wondering if I could use a manual shift t-case from one the newer trucks instead of having to buy a very expensive after-market t-case. Would it be a simple bolt-in(meaning to the trans) or is not even worth wasting time on.
    Kris
    kris985118@comcast.net
    1982 Chevy K10 6.5TD shortbed stepside 700R4, 5inch pipe

2003 Dodge 3500 4x4 cc/lb Cummins HO/48RE, K&N kit, straight pipe, roktech, FASS, six-gun/sl with PDA boost,pryo,trans,fuel gauges

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
    I would like to run a driver-side output transfer case in my 82 chevy which currently has a 700r4 trans with 208 t-case. I am wondering if I could use a manual shift t-case from one the newer trucks instead of having to buy a very expensive after-market t-case. Would it be a simple bolt-in(meaning to the trans) or is not even worth wasting time on.
    It'll work, but may need some help. The shaft may have to be updated. If it's off a 4L60, it may be a direct fit. You will have to accomodate the electronic speed sensor, so any of the late models will probably have you with an electronic speedo. I don't think the 700's gear/cable drive is compatible, but I could be wrong. The shift linkage will be on the opposite side, as well. If you need measurements, pictures, etc, I have one accessible (for sale, BTW).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

If you could get me some measurements and pictures that would be great. As to using an electronic speedo I was planning/thinking of using an autometer electronic so that might be useful. I can fab/mod the linkage so it works.
    My main concern is the actual attachment to the trans, splines and bolt pattern.
    Which one do you have access too, and how much are you asking?
    Kris
    kris985118@comcast.net

2003 Dodge 3500 4x4 cc/lb Cummins HO/48RE, K&N kit, straight pipe, roktech, FASS, six-gun/sl with PDA boost,pryo,trans,fuel gauges

Arrow

NP241 on a 1995 GMC K1500 350 gasser with a 4L60E. The bolt pattern should be the same, as the 60 is the upgrade from the 700. I won't be able to count the spline until I separate them. It is in California, so consider the shipping/delivery before I bust my knuckles on it. It's in the chassis, but the cab is removed, so very accessible. It was rebuilt about a year before the truck was totaled.

Measurements:
    Adapter: 3.5" long, 4" bolt to bolt (one side, not across), square.
    Case: 18.5" long (after adapter to output end). Adapter to case: 6 bolts, 3.5" bolt to bolt, 7" bolt to opposite bolt.

If the output yoke (front part of driveshaft) is different, the yoke can go with it.

Price can be negotiated off the forum. Email or PM me if you are serious.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I will let you know tomorrow as its suppose stop raining so I can double check measurements. The only thing I can't check is the spline count, but I do have a spare 208 t-case so that should have the same spline count.
    As for shipping it will depend on the weight which I'm guessing is around 125lbs if its an aluminum housing so it would most likely have to go buy truck. I'm not sure if UPS/FEDEX have weight limits.
    Thanks
    Kris
    kris985118@comcast.net

Arrow

If you are waiting for rain to stop, you're too far away from me. It won't be worth it to you. You are better off finding one out of a wreck and putting a $100 reman kit in it. At best, you'd break even with mine.

I'm going to pull it soon anyway, so let me know if you need any info on it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Thats fine. The spare 208 t-case I have has a 32-spline input shaft so I would guess that my 700 has a 32-spline output shaft then, right?
    Thanks for the info at least I have a better idea of what to look for.
    Kris
    kris985118@comcast.net

You could look for a np 205 from a Ford or Dodge.