Thread: Front hub / bearing - failing again

Default Front hub / bearing - failing again

I am having terrible luck with my left front wheel hub. I have changed it a number of times - unfortunately, I am getting very good at it. I changed the first because it was legitimately wearing. All was well until the properly installed and torqued axle nut backed off, allowing things to go bad. Replaced it. Then the axle shaft snapped at the hub end while on the hwy causing the entire thing to come apart. replaced the hub again. Again, to spec and torque. It seems like I have replaced it at least one more time in there.

Now, over the last 1500 miles I have noticed that although the nut is not backing off, the bearing is bad. When I jack the truck up I can grab the top of the wheel and rock it in and out. I tightened it up a bit to get rid of the play, but it is loose again. It is most likely going to fail soon, so I should replace it. It is getting crazy, and unfortunately, the first one was under warrantee, after that I am on my own.
    Jeffrey Todd
    _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _
    '96 6.5TD GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 - 300,000 miles, JK remote FSD, Dual Thermostats

Why are you on your own now? If the failures were due to faulty parts and not improper installation or something like that they should be covered under warranty, assuming you're not past the warranty term.
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.

I bought the hub from Autozone. When I returned the first, they said it was under a lifetime warrantee and it was replaced for free. I was told that only the first was warranteed.
    Jeffrey Todd
    _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _
    '96 6.5TD GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 - 300,000 miles, JK remote FSD, Dual Thermostats

From Autozone's website: "We will replace, or refund your money for, at our option, any part we sell that wears out or breaks under warranty. Your warranty starts on the day you buy the part and expires at the end of warranty period stated on the receipt or when you sell your vehicle - whichever comes first. To obtain a replacement part, visit any AutoZone store or contact AutoZone.com at 1-800-288-6966 to arrange return shipping. Replacement parts are warranted for the remainder of the warranty period or 90 days, whichever is longer. The warranty does not cover defects due to improper installation, other defective parts, low fluid levels, abuse, or commercial, off-road or marine use."

I couldn't find a lifetime warranty hub/bearing assembly on Autozone's website, but a rule of thumb is: If you make enough noise they'll give you what you demand. Tell them that lifetime means lifetime for all parts, not just the first one purchased! Talk to the store manager, his boss, HIS boss, etc. It's not like you're trying to screw them out of something you didn't pay for - they told you they backed their parts for the lifetime of the parts, so hold them to it.
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.

Based on that, I went back to AutoZone and they replaced it with no problems. I clearly, clearly should have asked for a second opinion last time I took one back.

I have taken these things (hubs) off and put them back on so many times [replace brake rotors, worn bearing, damaged axle] that I whould put together very detailed instructions on the repair.
    Jeffrey Todd
    _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _

if you keep tearing up bearings, something is not right. If you tear up another one, i would start to look at things. do you have any wobble? a bent rim or out of balance tire can make a bearing wear fast, but of course you will feel the wobble. you say you have already changed out the rotors, you could have gotten a bad rotor, that was warped from the start. I changed the bearings on my front drivers' side three times before i figured out it was a warped rotor.
    1985 M1008
    (k30 for the civi' minded people)
    my photo album
    6.2L (banks turbo installed)
    6" suspension lift
    38.5" ground hawg radials on H1 double-beadlocks
    cross-over steering
    rear disc brakes