Thread: 4WD Diagnosis...

Default 4WD Diagnosis...

Something is wonky w/my 4WD. I dropped it off at a local tranny place along with this note. See if it make sense to anyone of you and please comment if you know what might be wrong with it.

Mike I need your help this time with my truck. This time is a rush one because I need it by Friday night; I got a job up at an open pit mine this coming weekend for work. It’s in the middle of no where. We’ll talk over the phone about this one.

Here’s what I did to pre-checked it out.

All 4 wheels off the ground I had the truck in 2WD, drive/reverse. Only the back wheels turn. 4-HI only 3 wheels turn (RR, LR, LF). But I was able to stop one front side (LF) w/my hand. To my understanding the front is a locking diff which means LF and RF should turn at the same time/speed when 4HI is engaged; which is why they ask you to only use on snow/wet pavement. Correct me if I am wrong.

I left the thing in 4HI drive and turned the truck off in drive. Turned the key to key on engine off position. 4HI light on the T-case is still lit. I crawled under and turned the O/P shaft on the T-case by hand and only one front corner turns the other doesn’t.

Here’s where it gets interesting. I put the thing in 4LO and drive only the back wheels turn. Reverse was the same. Then I did the same thing as I did above. Neutral key on engine off turn drive shaft by hand and nothing happens in the front. Turning the front I was also not able to get the drive shaft to turn.

Also the t-case leaver VS t-case function is out of whack sort of like what happened to my tranny when I first brought it in. Adjust or better yet replace the linkage if you have to. Also can you put in a new 4WD actuator? The early funky GM thermo activated ones are known to crap out.

Other than that I have nothing more to say but the fact that you did a good job on the tranny. At lease it doesn’t leak like a sift anymore ****ing up the driveway.

Truck in question is a 94 K2500 6.5 Diesel Sub with 14-bolt rear; 4.10 rear.
    I used that name because its my username on all my other forums...

1994 Chevy Sub Diesel K2500

Unless someone changed it, the front axle has an open differential. 4WD is really at best 3WD...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

And in most cases the rear diff is also open so most times your looking at one rear an one front spinning.
    93 GMC Sierra 2500
    6.5L TD 5 spd Manual trans Sold

97 Chevy Silverado CrewCab K3500 Dually
    6.5L TD Auto