Thread: Crossover for Banks turbo??

Default Crossover for Banks turbo??

Hi
    The snow is moving down the mountains,so i thought i would fantizise about getting my turbo/aftercooler finished
    So my questions are about the crossover.I don't have the banks kit,but pieces of it.I havn't seen an acutall banks part.
    So far my thoughts were,i fabed up a flange for the banks manifold and the drivers side factory,i used 1/4" T1 steel,have 2 1/4" mandrel bent elbows,originally i was going to use a stainless steel flex section,like you see on most newer car exhuasts, i thought i should have some kind expansion area in the crossover,but have since decided against the flex section because of the inner obstructions and the one on my wifes car burnt out last winter.The flanges i made i was going to bolt tight to the manifolds,so i thought i would need some kind of expansion joint.
    So does anyone have a pic of a crossover?
    Anyone have experiance making their own crossover?
    Any suggestions?
    Does it need any expansion area? I Thought about building it in one piece,but am worried about it needing to move with the heat cycles.
    I have one from an ats kit that has one end that slides into a little bigger pipe and then was clamped with a muffler clamp,was hoping to make something a little cleaner looking than having a muffler clamp on a crossover
    I would like to wrap it with header wrap to keep the heat in and away from the engine.
    sorry about the long post.
    Thanks Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

if you are wrapping it, use stainless steel pipe, regular aluminized will rust from the moisture in a few years. any competent exhaust shop can bend it up for you and then weld it. you can use a solid piece, but i recommend that for ease of install/removal that you make it two piece, doesnt have to have a slip joint with a clamp, but having a second flange in the middle of the pipe would help greatly.
    1985 M1008
    (k30 for the civi' minded people)
    my photo album
    6.2L (banks turbo installed)
    6" suspension lift
    38.5" ground hawg radials on H1 double-beadlocks
    cross-over steering
    rear disc brakes

I had my own made for both my Banks-like installs.

But... Mine were BOTH 2WD applications. I elected to route the exhaust away from the oil pan as originally designed with the Banks unit.

I just ordered the Mandrel bends and had the exhaust shop do the welding and adapting. Turned out well, but I saved nothing in the cost of having it done verses just buying the ready-made stuff.

J

Here are a few pics of a Rotomaster turbo mounted on a Banks manifold and crossover pipe:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1344...29465272jWOuNA

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1344...29465272XrhYXZ

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1344...29465272jXqWhY

The Banks crossover pipe is a two-piece setup as well, with a muffler clamp joining them together. There's no need for an expansion joint or anything. The pipe just goes from one manifold to the other, and won't move independently. The pipe itself will give enough to prevent any cracking of the manifolds, like the 5.9L Cummins have problems with on their long, one-piece exhaust manifolds.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Hi
    Thanks for the replies.What are you guys doing for gaskets between the flanges and manifolds?
    I was thinking of going without gaskets hoping the 1/4" flange would seal tight enough.
    One problem out in the sticks here is that i don't have acsess to a competent muffler shop,so if i don't build it or can buy it i'm out of luck
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

I would think a crossover pipe for a 6.5 Turbo would work well for you. They can be had for $100 and modified as necessary to fit your custom Banks kit. There are one and two piece unit available.
    83 C10 Suburban, Silverado, 6.2, 700R4, 3.73, 31-10.50R15
    82 C30 Crew Cab dually, 6.2, Banks, Th400, 4.10, Gear Vendors, 235-85R16
    83 C20 Suburban, Sierra Classic, 6.2, 700R4, 4.10, custom paint, 285-50R20
    95 Yukon, 6.5, 4L80E, 3.42, 265-50R20
    73 GMC Astro 95, 8V71, 10 speed Roadranger, 110" WB, 6 each 11R24.5

the banks kit puts the crossover coming around the front of the engine and into the front of the passenger side manifold, a 6.5td crossover will not work
    1985 M1008
    (k30 for the civi' minded people)
    my photo album
    6.2L (banks turbo installed)
    6" suspension lift
    38.5" ground hawg radials on H1 double-beadlocks
    cross-over steering
    rear disc brakes