Thread: 1997 Suburban - Keyless Entry Receiver Location

Default 1997 Suburban - Keyless Entry Receiver Location

Does anyone know where the keyless entry receiver is located on a 1997 Suburban? I thought that the previous owners had said it had factory keyless, but upon trying the instruction I found online to program the fob (shorting I believe it was pin 4 and 8 on the diagnostic connector), it does not operate the lock or program the remote. I know they did have an aftermarket alarm installed, and then removed, so maybe it damaged some wiring, or prompted them to unplug the factory unit. Unfortunatly the service manual I ordered has not arrived yet, so I'm just being a bit impatient and hoping someone on here may know where this unit is located on the 97 Suburbans.
    Thanks for any help,
    Don.

I've got a 96. The box is located under the dash on the drivers side between the steering column and the left side of the truck. It is hooked into a wire harness in that area. If you call to order replacement fob / key, you will ned all the info on the tag / sticker on the unit. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much JFerg. I will take a look again... I was almost sure I scoured under the dash, and couldn't find anything that resembled a receiver. I know on my parents 97 Safari van, it's a good sized black box that pretty much says keyless entry on it (or something that gives it away), and it has a rectangle plug with two rows of pins, and maybe 10 wires (little bit of a guess there). Does that sound like what your truck has and what I should look for in mine? Maybe I should be looking closer for just and empty plug!

Thanks again,
    Don.

Well, never mind... I did the smart thing and called the dealer to see if it ever came with keyless, and it didn't (contrary to what the previous owner said). Anyone have a keyless receiver they want to sell??

I'd still like to try and find this plug, and maybe I'll be able to find a receiver at a junk yard some day.

Thanks,
    Don.