Thread: 4L80E Rebuild or Replace??

Default 4L80E Rebuild or Replace??

I am about due for a fresh transmission; mine is shuddering when the TC locks at light to moderate peddle. I have read that I could add a Transgo kit that would extend the life but not sure how much is left, I have 223K on the original. I am trying to decide if I want to build it myself or go the easy route and swap with a complete unit from a quality rebuilder. My questions are if I go the easy route, who should I go with that is a good no worries company, I live in Phoenix, AZ? I would prefer to use someone close but I do not have to. Also any TC suggestions?
    Thanks
    Mike
    1995 Suburban K2500 6.5TD 3.73's Innercooled, Updated cooling, Banks 3" exhaust no gizzards in the kittie. Pyro/Boost/Trans temp. Transgo HD valvebody kit.
    2002 2500HD, CC, LB, 4X4,California Truck, Federal Emissions Front pipe, Plugged recirculator, modified air box(Per Kennedy's page) 6" RCD lift, 35" tires.

Default Suggest Updates Too

The 4L80 has had many updates since 95 I suggest you do them too, they are listed along w/parts through SONNEX, sorry I don't have link to em right now.

If rig is a keeper consider ceramic or kevlar clutch materials along w/premium steels and hard parts. I went this way and added a B&M super cooler w/stat 160 deg controlled fan big but worth the $$$ and effort.
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

Quote Originally Posted by DA BIG ONE View Post
    The 4L80 has had many updates since 95 I suggest you do them too, they are listed along w/parts through SONNEX, sorry I don't have link to em right now.

If rig is a keeper consider ceramic or kevlar clutch materials along w/premium steels and hard parts. I went this way and added a B&M super cooler w/stat 160 deg controlled fan big but worth the $$$ and effort.
    Hey, just curious. Where did you mount your supercooler? I have the biggest B&M stacked plate cooler I could get mounted behind the radiator, in front of the main cooling fan. It's great except when I have the A/C on, then the hot air coming through the radiator only warms up the Tran fluid in the aux cooler. I wanted to go the fan-cooler route but I couldn't figure out a place to mount it where it would be safe from a rock kicking up.

Art.
    Art Paltz
    1999 Suburban K2500 6.5TD (stock)
    2000 Undercover Dragster, 468 BBC, 7.74@173MPH, waiting on new 622 aluminum BBC to be finished.
    1992 Tube Chassis Camaro, 468 BBC, 8.54@157MPH (SOLD)
    1987 Buick Grand National, 11.8@114, pump gas (for sale)
    1969 Camaro SS/RS 396-350HP, stock restoration, it never leaves the garage...

Default B&M SuperCooler

I have taken GMC grill assembly and completely removed it, then trimmed the grill & grill trim ring mounting surfaces to the outer edge of grill mounting area of headlight/header panel leaving a much larger open area.

Result? Increased airflow through all coolers, condensor & radiator best part is the largest oil/trans coolers can now be mounted up front in their factory locations, custom brackets are needed and can be made from factory brackets w/little tinkering.

To complete job a grill is needed, this is a personal choice and material used should be the least restrictive screening/fine wire fencing you are happy with then painted to match color of truck..............................Mount your custom grill externally/internally to taste.
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.