Thread: Total Lockup of Rear end

Default Total Lockup of Rear end

Driving home 2wd 30mph rear wheels lock up. Had to get a tow home anyone have any ideas?
    Going to pull the drive shaft and see if the rear turns if not gotta change do the rear if so could it be the transfer case?
    Any ides would be helpfull how do you tell the ratio of rear you have?
    Thanks
    Mike
    America Love it or Leave!
    1999 Cheverolet K2500 Suburban 4X4 LT
    Hybrid Diesel/Vegetable Oil conversion by me
    In Memory of My Fallen FDNY Brothers
    Never forget Never Forgive

Arrow

Too many possibilities. You're gonna have to find out what locked up, then get into it to find out what happened. Good luck. If you're lucky, it's the transfer case. Cheap/easy to overhaul.

If your rear diff turns, turn one wheel two rotations with the other stationary, and count the rotations of the shaft. The shaft rotations will be your ratio. If you pull the diff cover, look for a ratio marking on the ring gear, or count the teeth. If your diff is OEM original, your RPO sticker in the glove box will indicate the ratio. Decode the RPO HERE.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Hey thanks
    I pulled the drive shaft and the rear turned OK put the car up on four jack stands and the car then shifted out of 4wlow to any gear i wanted but the front wheels did not turn at all.
    How muchl of a job is it to rebuild the transfer case and can you do it without a lift?

Arrow

Good deal.

The transfer case is pretty simple. Not too many moving parts, and they don't fit in wrong. The hardest part, especially if you are solo, is getting it in/out. You can do the hardware R/R with it rolling around on the ground or on a bench. I usually do them on the ground (slab). The hardware kit should run you less than $150, and the chain around $50. The hardware kit should have all the gaskets and seals you'll need. If you have broken/damaged gears, sprockets or shifter parts, you can get them at just about any tranny shop for not much. Handy to have a manual, but not necessary if you are capable. All you really need is torque values if you can remember how things came out. Take pictures and notes if necessary.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Took the burban to my mechanic could not get the torsion bars off to remove the crossmember. He has it out but no one has this transfer case he is having it rebuilt.
    What a nightmare makes me want to buy a Toyota. We will see how much this will cost.

Default T-case

Try transfercase.com
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.