Thread: Blazer rear window switch

Default Blazer rear window switch

I'm trying to remove the dash mounted switch for the rear window on my '86 Blazer. Is there a trick? I'm afraid to pry it off for fear of breaking the gizmo. It's almost impossible to snake my arm up from underneath to really push on it but I can touch it. I don't see any screws from the front. Help! The tailgate key lock has been swapped out and therefore my door key won't activate the window from the tailgate. So I want to apply continuous power to the switch without inserting the key into the ignition and have the GP's cycle off and on just to put groceries in the back.
    Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"

Arrow

They are held in with locking tabs, like some electrical connectors. The tabs are on each side (L/R). If you pry on it, the tabs will break. You need to get behind it and squeeze the tabs, and it will come right out. If you remove the ashtray, you should be able to get behind it easily. You may be able to reach it if you remove the glove box, but I haven't tried that.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Smile

Can't really fanagle my arm down the ashtray hole, around the side metal piece, then back up to the switch. Besides, removing the ashtray looks like a whole nother not-so-fun task. I was able to squeeze my arm up from the floor at a different angle then my first attempt and was able the squeeze the tabs and push out the switch. Thanks for the advice. You know, I've removed transmissions, transfer cases, rebuilt my front ends, replaced radiators, injector pumps, injectors, glow plugs, steering pumps,water pumps, valve covers.....But it always seems to be the tasks that just look like they should take a few minutes to complete that always seem to give you the most grief!

I've learned lots of patience over the years!
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"

Arrow

Can't get it through the glove box? How about pulling the radio? Have a youngster (or significant other) around with skinny arms?

Worst case.....The switches aren't that expensive. If it's real important to get it out, pry it. You might get lucky.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I was able to squeeze my arm up from the floor to get to the switch and get it out. Thanks!

"Grease is good"