Thread: Water somehow getting in rear compartment

Unhappy Water somehow getting in rear compartment

I noticed that the rear of my burb has a very wet carpet mostly on ac/heat side, pulled rug on that side and under padding is soaked dripping wet. Thinking it was ac evap drip tube clogged and spilling water to the inside pulled cover and ran ac not leaking there.

Did notice the indents in floor for the back seat mounting were full of water that side (pass/side) removed the drain screws, I'm stumped as to where the water maybe coming in.

Have any of you ever heard of such a leak in burbs?
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

Red face Drip Tube

After removing entire rear carpet and pad I check drip tube again it only drips slowly and water just builds up faster than drip tube can let it out "find bug partially blocking tube".

Dynomat will be my padding now as it does not act like sponge......................
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

Cool, glad to see you found the problem. Water leaks can be a real PIA sometimes. I just did the exact same thing last week on my wife's car - sunroof drain was partially blocked. By the way, did the carpet come out easily? I've been thinking of changing it out to vinyl (but only behind the 3rd seat footwell). Is dynomat that sound insulation stuff?
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Default Rug removal?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisG01 View Post
    Cool, glad to see you found the problem. Water leaks can be a real PIA sometimes. I just did the exact same thing last week on my wife's car - sunroof drain was partially blocked. By the way, did the carpet come out easily? I've been thinking of changing it out to vinyl (but only behind the 3rd seat footwell). Is dynomat that sound insulation stuff?
    Removed panel over ac/heat on pass side then removed spare, base plate for spare, 4 seat mount slot trim rings & 4 cargo hold down rings rug and soaked insulation came right out.

I have been thinking spray on bed liner, dynomat sound insulation then rug. The bed liner people state that no rug or sound/heat insulation is need w/their product.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by DA BIG ONE View Post
    .....The bed liner people state that no rug or sound/heat insulation is need w/their product.

They lie. Don't believe it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I have been having the same problem on my 1996 burb. I just haven't had the time to tear it all out to go looking. What makes it worse is that I have a rubber floor mat that covers the back and it is beginnig to stink! So it sounds like the carpet will be coming out!

Does anybody have any solutions to resolving this issue???

Exclamation Clean up the mold/mildew

Quote Originally Posted by JFerg65 View Post
    I have been having the same problem on my 1996 burb. I just haven't had the time to tear it all out to go looking. What makes it worse is that I have a rubber floor mat that covers the back and it is beginnig to stink! So it sounds like the carpet will be coming out!

Does anybody have any solutions to resolving this issue???
    I suspect the odor is mildew and surely mold is hiding somewhere. From what I've seen seats, entire rugs along with all "padding" and floor trim needs to be removed. From here floor needs to be cleaned, rinsed and perhaps cleaned again, throughly dried out, any rust needs attention/repair, drain plugs installed, some good spray/rolled truck bed liner to seal it before any rugs/mats are reinstalled.

The padding used under our rugs is chopped recycled cloth which holds lots of moisture and is just right for mildew/mold to setup home "get rid of it"................................

Thumbs up

I posted about this very issue under "attention suburban owners"....pulled the entire interior up and only the a/c side was wet. The evap. tube was clear, but I suspect it's a condensation issue plus a bit of leaky weatherstripping. After a good rain, check your tailgate door drains. Chances are they are wet, which means they are leaking thorough the sill of the bed. My solution was dynamat and duck tape...the only thing getting wet now should be the carpet, which dries, unlike that soundproofing crap from gm.
    www.youtube.com/dieselsailor
    94 Sub 2500 4X4, 130k 3.73,19.5mpg hwy 12.5mpg tow,oil/diesel leaks fixed,(3-07),ES9000 Pro Comp Shocks!(4-07),amplifier on order!(4-07),New Lift Pump!(5-07),Ram-air/cold air intake!(5-07),Optima Red tops! (5-07),0 gauge battery/alternator custom lines! (6-07),New condenser & harmonic balancer (7/07),New rims and tires-265/75/r16! (7/07),Sound system done! (8/07),Alternator blown from sound system (8/07),160 amp alternator on order!

Planning: cooling upgrade, 4" exhaust, injectors, tow chip, triple gauge pillar, and gps in-dash.