Thread: Cruise control questions

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Default Cruise control questions

Got a 1991 V1500 Suburban with the 6.2L. Personally rebuilt it a couple months ago, and it runs great. 700R4 was rebuilt about 30K ago, and converted to run non-lockup, which I swapped for a bowtieoverdrives.com lockup and new torque converter when I did the rebuild. The truck currently has 255K on the clock and it's an absolute dream to ride and drive. I get 25 mpg easily every tank and I'm not easy on the skinny pedal.

I do have three things I need to fix to make it perfect, and two already have fixes in work. (A/C needs a new line as there is a visible hole in one, and the rear springs sag, have firestone air bags enroute to fix that problem.)

My cruise is inop and it drives me nuts. I admit to not knowing how it's all routed, so thus my questions here. I have disconnected all the plugs under the hood, (vacuum switches anyway) and I plugged the EGR valve in the intake. I only get a check engine light when I let it idle for more than five minutes. Does the cruise require me to plug everything back in? I'd need to reinstall a few things to do that and just want to ensure it's necessary. When I press the button on the stalk, nothing happens, so the cruise is 100% dead. Is there a separate brain for the cruise on these models, or is it part of the ECM? Rockauto has a cruise control control unit for $100, but I don't even know where to look for it in the truck.

Anyone have any ideas? I admit to not testing the brake switch to verify that's not the problem yet, I will try to do that soon.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

I am not sure but I think the cruise is all electric it should be a box located upper corner on the drivers side above the brake booster.
    93 GMC Sierra 2500
    6.5L TD 5 spd Manual trans Sold

97 Chevy Silverado CrewCab K3500 Dually
    6.5L TD Auto