Thread: Looking at '01 Duramax - any suggestions?

Default Looking at '01 Duramax - any suggestions?

I'm a newbie here, and new to diesel... I'm looking at purchasing an '01 truck with 79k on the Duramax engine. Before I buy, what can I do to ensure I'm getting a decent engine? Any tests I can ask the dealer to do before I buy? What kind of warranty stuff will travel to new owner?

Question

Ask them how much warranty is left on the injectors. What is the in service date? Do they have any service records? If this is at a dealer, did they do a safety inspection? What needs repaired? How is the compression?
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

there is no easy way to test compession in a duramax motor so forget that one. service records and ask to see them , shouldnt be a problem to get if its a GM dealer and the service DEPT is open. then ask if it still has a warenty left. 5 years-100000 mile on the basic motor and 7 years-200K on the injectors and you most likely will need aset of injectors around 100K .
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!

My quick answer to your post title?

"Look at an '02".

Why?

1) There were ECM/TCM programming changes after the first year. Some '01s that are used to tow heavy will set overboost related codes, and you may experience TCM induced 'limps' without predictable reason. They can be resolved with ECM reflashes to 2002 or later programming. The incidence of the '01 programming causing these problems is low in stock, daily driver form, but goes up to near certainty if you run power tunes, turn up boost rates, and/or tow heavy loads.

2) Engine builders in the know say that the incident of head gasket failures, while still a small, small percentage of total '01s on the road, appears to be higher in first year LB7s - especially those that have been 'turned up'.

I fought all of these problems with my '01 that was both turned up (fuel), overboosted, and propane injected. All were resolved by upgrading to a stock 2002 ECM...then the head gasket let go. Alot of learning was done with that truck in the 100,000K quick heavy towing miles we logged in about 18 months.

That being said, if you find a great deal on an '01, and the injectors have been done, or still have warranty left - by all means, buy it confidently. However, if its a toss-up, pass on the '01s and shop '02s, 03s, etc. to the limits of your budget.

The Duramax/Allison has proven to be such a reliable powertrain that you can hardly spend too much - unless you intend to stop driving soon... You'll get your truck dollar investment back in mileage, utility, low maintenance, etc. over time. Buy alot of utility/miles by spending more.

My .02 cents worth, but with some experience behind it. Good luck!
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 10-02-2007 at 19:41.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Default 01 DMax

My 01 has had no injector problems at 95 thousand miles, however the 200,000 or seven years will expire soon. Seven years from purchase for me will occur on Dec. 8th. So even a late 01 will probably have only 13 months left on the warrenty for injectors.
    If injectors go out after then I am on my own with no regrets. I do watch where i purchase fuel, I try to only use as few as stations as I can. I never buy at an older station which has tanks above ground, and perfer new stations with new tanks and high volumne.
    If price per gallon is to good to be true dont buy.
    I double filter and change both at 10000 miles . Biodiesel is used about every fourth fillup and more often if price is the same. Approved additives used.
    I have followed same procedures on past diesel vehicles [5] and on tractors. Clean fuel will make a difference. My 90's 6.5's all went more than 135 thousand miles without pump service.
    Just my thoughts your milage may vary.
    Hillbilly Jim

NutNbutGMC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dbchristensen View Post
    I'm a newbie here, and new to diesel... I'm looking at purchasing an '01 truck with 79k on the Duramax engine. Before I buy, what can I do to ensure I'm getting a decent engine? Any tests I can ask the dealer to do before I buy? What kind of warranty stuff will travel to new owner?
    From my experience, what I have read here (with some sense of authoritative first-hand experience), and the inherrent problem of injectors known by all with the LB7 engine that is in the 2001 models, walk away from it.

Some guys here have had good luck and I commend them as such. It's all about the risk that you are willing to take. Personally, I wouldn't take any LB7 engine if someone paid me to take it, let alone the risk of paying out for it. Been there, not going back. After owning a 2001 with the shudder launch problem and the resulting cut-crossmember issue, I acquired a new 2002 LB7. That is actually the year model (not that it matters) that I had the bad experience with the engine. I kept the 2001 for only 42k miles. Read around here on the board for yourself and see the various threads on this subject.

Again, no insult to those here that have this engine. Just my experience and opinion after three sets of injectors, and oil leaks (developing at 98k miles) out the ying-yang from the engine being torn down and put back. Save yourself a headache.
    Last edited by NutNbutGMC; 10-03-2007 at 18:43.

DuraMaster,

I saw a post somewhere (I think by you) about what tests need to be done to determine the state of the injectors. As a diesel tech, what would you recommend asking them to check before buying a used duramax?

Thanks