Thread: Air flow, turbos, fuel and more?????s

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by quickv6 View Post
    Hi guys, As some of you know I have blown up the board with questions. Sorry for wearing eveyone out. I am in the middle of my build on my 6.5 and I am looking for as much info as I can get. I build turbo charged V-6s-v-8s for a living so forced induction is not new to me. I am looking to make 250-300 at the tire with my 6.5TD. Forget the mechanical limitations of the block crank etc. Lets focus on making the power. Opinions welcome.

For a gas engine for every pound per minute of air you can make 10HP. So if your turbo flows 20 ppm you can make 200HP. I know this is over simplified but its the basics.

Does the same rule apply to Diesel fuel?

Looking at the maximum air requirement of a 6.5 with 15psi of manifold pressure

1500rpm/19ppm
    2000rpm/26ppm
    2500rpm/32ppm
    3000rpm/40ppm
    3500rpm/46ppm

This also aSSumes you can get the air in and out of the engine.
    I see no way you can do this with any of the GM turbos GM-8 etc. Not even close. I know you see 15 psi on your gauge but there is no way that turbo is moving that flow rate of air. I have also seen the back pressure on the GM turbos is crazy hi. Much over 8 psi. is 2 to 1. and then some. I am thinking that I should use a turbo that will meet the air requirements 15 psi manifold pressure. I am thinking a turbo in the 40ppm range. Thats enough air to make 400HP will easily supply more than enough air at a reasonable boost pressure with a minimum back pressure. Jim, JK, RJ any thoughts?

Now how do we get the fuel to make this power with the DS4 pump and marine hi pop injectors? I do plan on having Kennedy burn a chip for the truck. I just hate to wear those guys out with questions till I figure out how to attack this monster.
    It was posted earlier that the DS4 can be turned up to 91mm . (I am assuming this is done with a chip)

Approximately How much power can be made at that setting?
    How much would that be in Pounds Per Hour of fuel ?
    At what approximate Air fuel ratio is diesel performance optimal?
    Your HX35 should be a big step forward, but an efficient 20 psi is where you should be going. This is a pressure ratio of 2.4, which is in the vicinity of 55 lb/min air flow at 3000-rpm. A 70% efficient compressor at 20-psi or more and at 55 lb/min will be a part of the equation to get you close to 300 FW. I don't know if the HX35 is the best choice for this combination, but it is a big step up from the GM series of turbochargers, when making power at higher rpms is important.

x% exhaust opacity at rated power is what determines the fuel-rate you need. Shoot for 20%... You should be able to get close to 300 FWHP with the stock DS and the right programming (and the right engine build). Just such a turbo/engine combination is discussed in the upcoming article on turbochargers.

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 10-24-2007 at 17:38. Reason: typo