Thread: LBZ / Allison - Cracking, snapping, popping, ticking sound???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GM decreased the engine oil pressure in the LLY and LBZ engines below that produced by the LB7. The odd snapping (produced by the earlier LB7) didn't seem to be an issue with the newer engines - at least people stopped talking about it.

To me, the snapping sound produced by the LB7 was more like a loose flat washer intermittently rattling/ticking inside the driver's side aluminum intercooler tube. I felt then (and still do) that the sound was due to new oil gassing-off and creating gas bubbles that were compressed/popped in the engine's main/rod bearings. I always heard the sound right after an oil change and for about the next couple hundred miles - then not again till the oil was changed.

Jim

i always thought it was metal parts expanding as it warmed up........

similar to the sound you hear from ducts in the house when the furnace kicks on maybe......

just my thought but i'm not sure
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Not sure what you are talking about the snap, pop, cracling sound, but I sure do know what you are talking about that ticking sound. There is a bulleting out for it, but GM says do not fix and it is normal. Mine is ticking too, sounds like some one using a mechanical type writer with one finger. Sounds worse on the drivers side wheel housing, when it's warm outside and the truck hasn't reached op temperature. However, it shouldn't effect anything, besides making noise.
    07 Chevrolet Classic, CC, regular box, Duramax Diesel, Magnaflow dual exhaust and Superchips tuned.

As I said earlier, mine does this too, but only while it is coming up to operating temp. Then it is quiet. Did anyone actually say what it is? If so, I guess I missed it. Ed
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06