Thread: Leaky Banks Crossover

Question Leaky Banks Crossover

I have never been able to keep my Banks 6.2 crossover from leaking at the driver side manifold and the joint up by the front of the engine. It seems I can never get it lined up squarely, and the joint leaks where the pipe is split. This leaking makes my engine sound like it has a lifter out until it warms up completely. I took the crossover off tonight and can clearly see where soot is being blown out in both places. Anybody have any good tricks for getting this thing on straight and leak free? Is there any joint goo I can seal it up with???? Thanks for any suggestions.
    Randy
    2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison Crew

Most exhaust pipes have a joint connection on the inside of the pipe where the rolled material was joined to make the pipe. Might remove those bumps inside with a dremel.

Did you replace your donut?

Did you install the 1" sleves/tube over the studs to replace the springs?

J

Thanks John.
    I will replace the donut again and I have used a stack of washers instead of the springs (but I may not have had a tall enough stack - I'll make sure the stack or tubes are a full 1 inch this time). It looks like I have had the drivers side piece of the crossover tipped so that the donut surfaces were not contacting all around. I'll see if there are burs to be removed on the crossover. It looks like the leak is where the slits are in the female end. is there a band clamp (1 7/8) instead of the u-clamps to provide a better seal?
    randy

Some vendors sell a one piece crossover. Yours is a 2 piece, but if you can install it as a one piece, line it up then take it out and have it welded up.
    83 C10 Suburban, Silverado, 6.2, 700R4, 3.73, 31-10.50R15
    82 C30 Crew Cab dually, 6.2, Banks, Th400, 4.10, Gear Vendors, 235-85R16
    83 C20 Suburban, Sierra Classic, 6.2, 700R4, 4.10, custom paint, 285-50R20
    95 Yukon, 6.5, 4L80E, 3.42, 265-50R20
    73 GMC Astro 95, 8V71, 10 speed Roadranger, 110" WB, 6 each 11R24.5

Thanks Craig. Because I have a 2wd with the crossmember I don't think I can snake a one piece crossover in there. I'll check it out though and see.

worst case you could drive the truck to an exhaust shop and have them put a piece of pipe in with flanges at each end to replace your leaky joint.
    1985 M1008
    (k30 for the civi' minded people)
    my photo album
    6.2L (banks turbo installed)
    6" suspension lift
    38.5" ground hawg radials on H1 double-beadlocks
    cross-over steering
    rear disc brakes