Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats needed to change fuel filter

I finally checked my filter and drained the non-existent water from the bottom. (just a little humor, I was looking to see how clean the fuel was and if there was any water in the fuel.)

It took me all of about 3 minutes to remove the fender well, because I knew that I would be down there I cleaned the area the day before. I could have washed it the day of and just moved the truck to a new location so I wouldn't get wet/muddy. I do realize most of the posters here are not in sunny so. florida, so this is not an option.

I thought of removing the intake (and now the battery) but I actually thought I had more of a chance of messing things up - going from top-side.

I guess there multiple ways to skin the cat - er. Duramax...
    2007 Silverado, 3500HD, 4X4, CC, Long Bed, SRW, LMM Diesel, Navi, DVD, Roll-N-Lock Cover, ICI Running Boards, CoastalEtech GM Lockpick for DVD/Nav changes in Motion, Back-up Camera...

2006.5 VW Jetta Special Edition TDI - Blue Graphite - European Spec VW Fact. Nav Radio.

Wow, I had a good laugh reading this post. Removing the fender well and specialty wrenches?? You're kidding right?? Why not remove the whole front clip, sheesh.

One bolt on the battery tray clip, pull it and your done. Unplug the sensor, slide the filter wrench over the wire harness and go. 15 minutes to complete a fuel filter change.
    2005 Chev Duramax/Allison 3500LS DRW Crew Cab, Ride-Rites, Sulastics
    B&W 30K-Turnover GN, Putnam 15K-Class-5, A/T Revos, LMM mouthpiece

2006 Chev 6.0L/4L80e 3500WT DRW Ex-Cab 8'Flat-GN, Ride-Rites, Sulastics
    A/T Revos

busted up a few of the pegs that hold the fender liner in............anyone know the part # for these pegs that hold the fender liner in?

Thank you Hook_'em_Horns! This is the easy way for me.....take out the right hand battery. At least I'm not the only one. Ed
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Default Fuel Filter

I bought a 2002 2500HD and there wasn't an owner's manual with it to show me how to change out the fuel filter. The info in this thread seems fairly clear but I'm a little afraid of messing something up because it appears I have plent of room to change the filter without removing fender skirts, etc.. Is there a place I can see some pictures of the fuel filter and it's location on a 2002 model? Am I just being to caustious and making a mountain out of a mole hill?
    I have never gotten a wif alarm indicating that there would be water in the fuel. I probably have close to 10K miles on this filter.
    Is there a rule of thumb for how often the filter should be changed?
    Thanks for any help you can give. Sorry if the questions are dumb, not many mechanical skills here.
    Knapper

Arrow

Jack

The earlier the model, the more room there is. If you think you can do it w/o removing anything, go for it. I've replaced dozens of these on just about all models, and I can get them all from the top (some require a little assistance through the fender liner, like a 2003 CA model last week). Your 2002 should be easy to get to w/o removing anything. Do yourself a favor, though, and drain the filter before pulling it. If it's full, it'll spill fuel all over the place. Use a piece of hose that will fit over the water drain nipple and open it and the top bleeder. Drain into a suitable container. No mess! Don't forget to disconnect (then reconnect later) the WIF sensor harness. If it gets tangled in the works or your wrench, you'll be shopping for a new one.

Don't complicate it any more than you think you have to. Glean what you need from the above suggestions, and keep it simple.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I did mine from the top, did not remove anything, no help from anyone, piece of cake
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/image.php
    07 GMC CC SB LBZ
    70 monte carlo, original 4 spd, bench seat
    71 monte carlo SS clone, street/strip
    97 grand am, beater

I always remove the right hand battery. Two cables (yep I tape up the hot lead) and one bolt and out it comes. Then I have plenty of room and I'm not trying to work through the a/c lines. Ed
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

I can spin one off and spin one on by hand on any of our trucks in about 10 minutes now. Substitute Mechanix gloves for the filter wrench... I still like my overpriced WIF remover wrench. Have one in each truck, with a spare filter of course.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Default Whats needed to change fuel filter

Thanks folks. Got it done today. A little learning curve but not a big chore.
    Thanks for your help.
    j

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    Much too long, here's the simplified version:

1. Drop the Passenger Inner fender
    2. Unlpug the WIF sensor
    3. Twist off the Old filter
    4. Install new fuel filter & O-rings if applicable. Reconnect WIF sensor.
    5. Open Bleed Screw and Prime w/ the Pump, close bleed screw
    6. Crank engine, check for leaks
    7. Re-install inner fender & Enjoy!

** On a site note ** Thanks Duramaster, I may try the intake-removal next time around. I hate those little plastic pegs you've gotta pull on the fenders.
    I'll add that I do all of mine without tools now. Hand tighten the filter and finger tighten the bleeder. Keep a strap wrench and nut driver handy in case you cannot remove by hand. Never use a screwdriver on the bleeder.

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter7 View Post
    I was wondering if they make a special tool for removing the pegs out of the keeper. Prying them with screwdrivers gets hard on the hands ..

Get a can of CRC spray dielectric grease and spray the pegs. They'll slide out like you wouldn't believe the next time...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!