Thread: Okay hate bust up the LMM party!?

Default Okay hate bust up the LMM party!?

I am picking up one of these monday.
    I got to tell you guys here , that other website DP has me reading the buyback procedures already and looking up lawyer. Forget about mods.

I will be using this for a daily driver(short trips) with some longer trips thrown in on the weekends and need everyone here to sound off on their driving habits and if they had a problem.
    Happy Turkey Day!

From what I have seen they have been very good. It's the aftermarket idiots that make smoky tunes and don't warn about plugging the DPF that are giving the LMM fits as this particulate no longer sails out the tailpipe.

What my customers have been doing is going to a full exhaust system (off road only of course) and my KD Custom tuning to take care of the codes.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Cool,
    thats one , keep em comin
    Thanks I was thinkin along those lines myself(that modifying it right away would be a mistake)

Lets say you order a new Remington 12 gauge shotgun. Engraved on the barrel is the statement "Chambered for 3" ammunition only."

You see some guy named Crazy Louie in Kentucky that sells 3 1/2" magnum load rounds for this gun, and sells them cheap over the internet.
    You then read that some guy bought Crazy Louies shells and blew his gun up!

Before taking delivery of the gun, you are considering your legal remedies IF it blows up?

The REAL question is - do you trust Crazy Louie?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING - ENJOY YOUR FEAST!!!
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 11-22-2007 at 08:03.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Like I said, there are only a few guys not happy,
    cant figure out if they modified or not(wont say for sure)warranty issues

on the other hand I am obligated to take this truck now,( i feel now) and I am not looking for any headaches. Just like to know what my options or plan of action would be.
    I am not going to put a 3 1/2 in 3 inch chamber, believe me.
    I am going to run it stock until it breaks in and then experiment with making bio diesel. Nothing I feel that should be "radical"
    Thanks Enjoy!

Also,
    while it is a few guys with woes, there guys posting with rumors of major lawsuits and fleets of these trucks.
    Are they just rumors?
    I really think that there is something to this new emmission, dpf, regen stuff

Quote Originally Posted by GARTHGMC View Post
    Also,
    while it is a few guys with woes, there guys posting with rumors of major lawsuits and fleets of these trucks.
    Are they just rumors?
    I really think that there is something to this new emmission, dpf, regen stuff
    Hmmm...there are two over on the DP that have had major problems that I recall due to lifts, mods to engine etc. FLEETS, major lawsuits??? I've been reading everything I can on the LMM and haven't seen on the DP what you just posted. What am I missing?

Emissions, dpf, regen stuff is here to stay, its even on the big rigs!
    08 Blue Granite Silverado LTZ, DMax/Ally, CC/LB/4x4, Cab lights, Camper mirrors, Brake controller, Sunroof, Park assist, and skinny tires

06 Jetta TDI

00 Jayco 263RK (2nd home)

upgraded to an "09" Ranger 619VS/full windsheilds, w/an ETEC 225HO, T8 kicker, Minnkota 101 Terrova, and Lowrance electronics.

Real Trucks have LONG BEDS!

Those two guys who started the trouble threads. Someone chimed in about his "brother law" works at a big dealership in Bumsquat AZ and blah blah,
    you know how rumors go.
    This is why I started this thread here.
    GUys seem to be much happier here

Talking

Well I can tell you that I work at a GMC dealer that sells alot of light and medium duty GMC's with the new LMM in them and I haven't seen a DPF problem yet. I can say that in the last week, we had two C-4500/ 5500 trucks towed in with the LMM in it. Both dead!! The cause was that the LMM has an electronic fan hub that shares the 5 volt reference circuit with the cam and crank sensors. The hub shorts out and pulls the reference circuit low and then kills the truck. Pretty weird! Other than that, NO problems yet!!!
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

Here's my take:

If you don't modify it and run good fuel, you should be fine.

If you modify it SMARTLY and keep it so that it can be easily reverted back to stock you should be fine.

If you seriously think you may need a lawyer, I'd not even consider taking delivery of the truck...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Kennedy,
    You sound like the man when it comes to modifying the truck.
    What do you consider "smartly" mods?
    Of course, I have moved on from those threads where they are flaming the truck, internet is bad that way, its real good for complaining.
    I am not going to modify the truck unless:
    a) person doing it is an expert with proven track record

b) they probably wont have it figured out until mid 2008
    c)it possibly voids my warranty
    d)felt the dealer out

My major concern now has become will I have to wait 5 yrs(warranty ends) or until GM realizes their mistake on bio diesel
    I only see the quality control on bio becoming better
    and also the availability.
    When b99 starts being offered in 5 out of 8 stations. They are going to have a problem on their hands.
    This was my original concern.
    Some guys flamed me right away for wanting to save money with this truck on the fuel costs, but for someone who has had gasser all their life, I dont see any radical devlopment in mileage unless its a hybrid(which may or maynot have its own set of problems) for full size pickups (new 08 hybrid gm trucks and suv will get about 20 mpg???)

It was a maverick decision for me and it would be nice to have a gameplan is all
    Have a great day and thanks

I am picking up one of these monday.
    I got to tell you guys here , that other website DP has me reading the buyback procedures already and looking up lawyer. Forget about mods.

I will be using this for a daily driver(short trips) with some longer trips thrown in on the weekends and need everyone here to sound off on their driving habits and if they had a problem.
    Happy Turkey Day!

There are a lot of "Crazy Louie" web sites out there as well, who encourage (or don't moderate.... or don't care about) the loons who think litigation is the answer to all of man's ills.... regardless of who is actually responsible.

Jim

GARTHGMC, for what it is worth, I purchased 2008 Silverado 3500, dually and I could not be happier. An amazing truck. Have 1400 miles logged. I just drove down to Florida from Virginia approx 900 miles. Could have easily flown, but after reading the recommendations on this great website, decided to drive to allow a better break-in. I average 16 miles to the gallon and kept the cruise control on most of the way at 70mph. Getting ready to drive back tomorrow. I have always performed judicious aftermarket upgrades on all of my vehicles. I intend to keep this one stock during the warranty period for sure. I pull a 30 ft Travel Trailer and I have all the power I need. I am also told that as the truck continues to break in, the mileage will improve. Personnaly, I am not too overly concerned about the mileage. I care more about reliability and am convinced GM put some serious thought and engineering in this new LMM. Enjoy your new truck, it is a dream to drive. r/ Roland
    2008 Silverado 3500, Dually, 4x4, CrewCab, LTZ, LOADED!! Rhino Liner bed/rear wheel wells. FOR SALE: '96 GMC,3500, 4.10 Rebuilt '99 6.5 2K miles, DSG Phaser Gear, DSG Girdle Kit; New Turbo, NV4500, AirLift, Modified Air Cleaner, Sol-D PMD, Mesa Oil Coole New turbo, Kennedy fan clutch, 21" Duramax fan; hate to part with this workhorse, but driveway is tight! 703-786-0808.

I've had the LMM since May of this year. I have almost 5k miles. I am probably the king of bumper to bumper city driving. It takes me at least an hour to drive the 14 mile roundtrip to pick my kids up from school, plus my son likes to watch DVD's while I pick-up my daughter so he stays in the truck with it idling while I go get her. My weekend driving, if I drive it, is usually back and forth to Home Depot, which is a 6 mile roundtrip of 30-40mph city speed limit driving with a stop sign or traffic light every 1/2 mile.

As you can see I don't drive the truck that much, less than 1k a month and that was with a 3k mile roundtrip to Tennesee this summer. -- I have a company car that I use to drive back and forth to work.

To the point! Last week I had my first "Clean Exhaust Filter, See Owners Manual Now" mesage on the DIC. Btw, you CANNOT clear this message to see fuel range, MPG's, etc..) I made a trip to the Florida Keys and within 15 miles around 65 - 70 MPH the message cleared.

BTW, I had someone blow up a handgun using cheap, "Crazy Louies" reloads. They were accidentaly double-primed. The gun was a worthless piece of metal. (everyone else was ok and not-injured)
    2007 Silverado, 3500HD, 4X4, CC, Long Bed, SRW, LMM Diesel, Navi, DVD, Roll-N-Lock Cover, ICI Running Boards, CoastalEtech GM Lockpick for DVD/Nav changes in Motion, Back-up Camera...

2006.5 VW Jetta Special Edition TDI - Blue Graphite - European Spec VW Fact. Nav Radio.

Cool!!!!!!!!1
    Picking up tommorrow.
    Yeahbaby gotta love it
    PICS to follow
    new thread...
    How do I get the retractable cover under the "back rack"
    and watertight?

I've had my LMM for almost 6 months and make many short trips to work and home. (Thats about 5 miles one way) No problems yet.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab Bells & Whistles LTZ, LML Dmax

Cool!!!!!!!!1
    Picking up tommorrow.
    Yeahbaby gotta love it
    PICS to follow
    new thread...
    How do I get the retractable cover under the "back rack"
    and watertight?
    Not sure I understand the question. I have a roll-n-lock cover. It is mostly water-tight. The only time I get leaks is if debris clogs up the drains in the container part and I've been lazya and not cleaned it out. I've driven it from Miami to Connecticut roundtrip thru rainstorms with luggage in the back and it never got wet. I've also recently driven from Miami to Gatlinburg and back without an issue.
    2007 Silverado, 3500HD, 4X4, CC, Long Bed, SRW, LMM Diesel, Navi, DVD, Roll-N-Lock Cover, ICI Running Boards, CoastalEtech GM Lockpick for DVD/Nav changes in Motion, Back-up Camera...

2006.5 VW Jetta Special Edition TDI - Blue Graphite - European Spec VW Fact. Nav Radio.

Kennedy,
    You sound like the man when it comes to modifying the truck.
    What do you consider "smartly" mods?
    Of course, I have moved on from those threads where they are flaming the truck, internet is bad that way, its real good for complaining.
    I am not going to modify the truck unless:
    a) person doing it is an expert with proven track record

b) they probably wont have it figured out until mid 2008
    c)it possibly voids my warranty
    d)felt the dealer out

My major concern now has become will I have to wait 5 yrs(warranty ends) or until GM realizes their mistake on bio diesel
    I only see the quality control on bio becoming better
    and also the availability.
    When b99 starts being offered in 5 out of 8 stations. They are going to have a problem on their hands.
    This was my original concern.
    Some guys flamed me right away for wanting to save money with this truck on the fuel costs, but for someone who has had gasser all their life, I dont see any radical devlopment in mileage unless its a hybrid(which may or maynot have its own set of problems) for full size pickups (new 08 hybrid gm trucks and suv will get about 20 mpg???)

It was a maverick decision for me and it would be nice to have a gameplan is all
    Have a great day and thanks
    Smart mods:

Remove full system in tact and set aside for safe keeping.

Custom tune on a core ECM leaving the stock ECM bone stock.

I have made my tune to be DPF friendly , but if you leave the DPF there is a good potential for frequent regen. I've heard of a good many tuners filling the DPF quickly...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

I have 10k on my LMM. Seamless and sweeet! Yes, you can figure out when a regen happens, if you pay attention. It's a better truck than those LBZ dinosaurs.
    Enjoy your new truck!