Thread: question about breather

Default question about breather

i recently turbocharged my 6.2 with a turbo and parts from a 6.5

there is a breather line that comes from the passenger side valve cover and it is supposed to join into the intake air before the turbo. i'm wondering how important this is, because right now i have the line venting to atmosphere because i don't have all the right intake piping, so i clamped a conical filter right onto the turbo housing and left the breather just hanging there.

aside from smelling oily when idling is this alrite or should i try to get it properly hooked up?

thanks in advance
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

The way you have it now would only be a pollution issue, plus the fact you can smell it. It is best that you plumb it into the intake tract.
    William

97 Chevy Tahoe 2Dr 6.5 Kennedy Exhaust Pipes w/Homemade Resonator and Flowmaster Muffler, Turbo Tech intercooler and Kennedy/Westers computer
    01 Sunline 2363 Travel Trailer

well it also seems to leave a fine coat of oil on surrounding parts.

i guess i'll get it fixed up then.

thanks
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Arrow

That's the CDR (Crankcase Depression Regulator). It needs to be routed to the intake (before turbo!). If you do vent it to atmosphere (as some have done), it should have a filter on it, like the old valve cover breathers. There can be a significant amount of oil vapor going through it, especially with a turbo and engine under load.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com