Thread: New Truck, What should I do

Default New Truck, What should I do

Ok, so I am getting a new 2008 2500 Chevy Duramax Diesel. I am new to a diesel truck. I have driven a gas F250 and towed a 5th wheel (13K) for many years. What I am wondering, what are the "Must have's" for a diesel that will be pulling a 5th wheel, at least some of it's life. I know I want to do a bed liner and the hitch stuff, that is not the question. What I want to know about are gauges, fuel & air filters that kind of thing. Thanks for your advice. Oh yes I don't have an unlimited budget after buying the truck! Thanks,
    Bill S
    Last edited by bsostrich; 01-08-2008 at 18:46. Reason: forgot something

Default Welcome!

I tow the TT in my sig (below). I recommend the turbo boost gauge and the EGT gauge. The OEM trans temp gauge seems adequate. This site is full of info. and pics for the install.

I am considering a 5er in the future. I'd consider adding suspension air bags on the suspension. I'm sure others will chime in with other "must haves". I am happy with most everything I've added to my truck.

Feel free to ask me questions about anything I've added.

Again....welcome,
    Jim M.
    '05 2500HD D/A CC SB 4x4 Silver LS ~65,000+ mi.
    Isspro EGT (pre-turbo) & Boost analog guages; 4" Magnaflow exhaust; Superchips programmer; Uni-Foam Air Filter; Boost stick w/ext.; Amsoil Lubrication products; Aux. fuel filter (Post OEM); FilterMags on oil, fuel, and trans; Bilstein shocks; Amsoil Dual Remote oil bypass; 60 gal. In-bed RDS Aux. fuel tank; Prodigy electric brake controller; VR3 Color Back-up Camera System, Battery tender
    '10 Coachmen FW 35RLDS ~35', 11k lbs.(loaded)

My advice would be to read your Owner's Manual cover to cover. Also read and understand your warranty and its limitations to a "T".

At 500 miles I'd have the factory lube out of the rear end, and another quality synthetic - GM's own even - back in. Proper break in of the rear is key to longevity and most here agree that getting the first stuff out quick is a good idea.

At 1500 I'd do the first oil change and again, run a quality synthetic. Then at 4500. Then at your chosen interval and stick with it, unless you encounter extreme conditions where dropping the oil and changing immediately is always good insurance. (Like the 105 degree thrash with camper in tow across Mohave in July...)

Most change fuel filters every 10K to 15K. They are cheap insurance against injector problems, and only take minutes to replace.

As for aftermarket air filters, exhaust systems and power adders - I wouldn't touch any of them for 15K miles, until you have a solid baseline of the trucks performance, mileage, and have shaken out any factory shortcomings, if any. You have a fairly new engine and emissions package and common sense is that the aftermarket is playing catch-up. Why be their guinea pig, at your expen$e and risk of your factory warranty?

My .02 worth. Get to know your stock truck first before mods. Have at the gauges if you are curious for more data.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Default I'm with Mark

I agree with changing the fluids. I changed out Engine Oil, front and rear diffs at just under 1000. I got a scare. My rear diff was just over half full. Seems it was overlooked. I hope it didn't hurt anything, but I did tow a few times right at 500 miles.

I believe I read it somewhere on this forum about how notorious GM is for not topping off the lubes at the factory. I suggest checking ALL of the fluids as soon as you can get it up in the air, regardless of what the dealer says they did!

Then just get to know it! You can put the goodies on later!
    Scott
    St. Louis, MO

'06 Silverado K2500 4x4 Crew Cab D/A "Big Max" AmpResearch retractable Running Boards, 4" Turbo back Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Custom Tune!
    '99 BMW K1200LT "Special K" my other "SUV"
    '07 Salem by Forest River Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler

Smile

The main reason I am asking about guages and all is when we bought our gas truck and towed the 5th wheel some 80k miles, someone told me that I should have a transmission temperature guage. So we put one on and low and behold, it indicated on a couple of occasions, that we needed to stop. The engine temperature was fine, but the transmission was getting too hot.

I had heard some folks talking about exhaust temperature on diesels being a big concern. I have a hard time believing the folks at the factory doing all of the things that are necessary when towing.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!
    2008 Chevy 2500HD LT1 CC LB Stock