Thread: Replacement Batteries

Default Replacement Batteries

Have an 02 Dually with 5 year old batteries that I want to swap out before they start giving me trouble. Would like to know your opinions of what kind to get. Would like to get away from those leaking delco side post.-----Just installed Kennedy tune and 4 inch exhaust--- WOW!!!!!----- Some how he stuffed an additional engine in the PCM moduale. I think he needs to show the GM enginners how to progam PCM's.

Default Batteries

I replaced both batteries a year ago in my 02 because I was overseas for half a year and the Delcos peatered out. Got the top of the line at WalMArt.

Mike
    2002 GMC, Pretty Dark Blue, 4x4 / 3500, ZF6, 115 gal spare tank and Rockets... (My Other One): Flying Fuel. I got three engines and a 52,000 gallon tank, how many you got?

NutNbutGMC Guest

Best bang for your buck, IMHO.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/home.php

Cant go wrong with the Optima red tops. I've had a set since 05 that were on my 2002 (got 3 years out of the original delcos, 1 was dying). When I traded up to the 07 the batteries came too. They're 2 years old. 3 year free replacement 84mo battery. I do a lot of winching so they work great. I think the specs are 980CA (32F) 800CCA(0F)
    2002 Pewter 2500HD D/A EC SB 4wd Warn 12K SOLD! 103k miles
    2007 White 2500HD CC SB LBZ 4wd Warn 12K Stock

Side mount batteries leak from over-tightening, Pulls the seal loose. I have Fantasized about the Optima's though, pricey.

Summitracing cells [B]solid cell[B] batteries for racing applications. I bought one for our fifth wheel because the lead acid battery kept boiling out from the constant charge and heat. That was 7 years ago and still no problem. It is a pricey battery, but I plan on buying them when I replace the ones in my truck.
    2002 Duramax
    Allison 1000
    8" FabTech Lift
    Cold Air intake
    4" MagnaFlow turbo back exhaust
    37x13.50x17 Toyo's

Do the Optima Red Tops. You won't regret the additional $$$.

Also, totally agreed on JK's tunes. They are truly better than OEM spec! GM would be smart to license his economy/tow tunes for all year Duramax trucks - and reflash all trucks coming in service as they come in for service work.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Optimas are really great batteries, but very expensive and (IMHO) overkill for this application. In the race car, where weight is an issue, you bet. In our trucks, well ...

I opted for a pair of Interstates. I've been running them in my BMWs for years and they are very high quality but reasonably priced. So now the truck gets them, too.

- Mark
    '02 Sierra 2500HD D/A 4x4 CC SWB, Kelderman Air Ride rear suspension, Bilsteins, Westin step bars, Hawk HP SuperDuty brake pads, Tekonsha Prodigy, Line-X, 265/75-16 Michelin LTX M/S -- Truck Pics

Race car:
    http://www.justracing.com/homepage/mdadgar

I just replaced the 6 year old Delco batteries with one's from Costco. They are the Kirkland brand, nothing special. They have an 84 month warranty, with 2 year direct replacement. They were only $62 each. I have had good luck with them in the past. It does not get too cold here in SoCalifornia, maybe that is why they have lasted.
    '02 Chev 2500HD EC/SB 4x4 D/A

Good point - the Optima Red Tops are more expensive, over double the cost of bargain brands mentioned before.

My opinion is formed from great cold winter starts and keeping up with the demands of snowplowing - which puts the hurts on cheaper plate style batteries. The cause is a repetetive and heavy amp draw by the plow's hydraulic pump, all the time with windshield wipers, heater fan, and headlights usually on HIGH as well... You can literally fry cheap batteries and the alternator usually isn't far behind if the batteries can't keep up...
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K