Thread: Odd Rattle

Default Odd Rattle

About a week and a half ago I started hearing an odd rattle in the DaHooooley.
    Seemed to be metalic and located forward from the driver.
    This little gremlin would come and go on any rough surface including just driving over a heavily marked cross walk.

A trip under the truck with a flashlight did not reveal anything of substance but did allow me some time to look around.

yesterday the weather cleared off for the first time in weeks so I decided that this thing had to be fixed.
    A trip off down the gravel road finally turned up one hint as to the possible cause of the issue.
    A very light application on the brake pedal would stop the rattle right quick.

Ok Off with the front wheels and a good look at the brakes.
    Now I had replaced the pads about a month ago and all seemed fine then, but I only slid out the old ones and then compressed the piston and installed the new pads.
    The weather was wretched that day so it was a quicky.

Now as soon as I get the RF wheel off I notice a rubber tube protruding from the lower retainer bolt on the caliper.
    A more thorough inspection revealed this tube to be the rubber bushing that the retaining bolt and sleave go through.
    The caliper was loose and rattling around on the pins as not only was the one bushing hanging out but the other was also compromised.

A quicky trip to the Napa store retrieved a set of new bolts,sleaves and bushings.

A short time later with both sides seeing new parts the nasty little rattle is no longer there.

I was amazed at how much noise that little issue could cause.
    Last edited by Robyn; 01-21-2008 at 14:17. Reason: spelling
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I have this same issue. However the fellows at Murrays said they just sell the bolts and never heard of the rubber bushings. I know this is the problem as the caliper itself moves a little too easily IMHO and I can see it is hitting the bracket.

I'll go to Napa as I really have had it with Murrays Auto parts.
    03 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Extended cab SLT long box.