Thread: Cracked 6.5L GEP/AM General Block

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey klink, PM me and i'll give you my email address so you can send me the pics'. I have some software i can resize those and post them, also the 'place would be interested in that as well.
    Don
    1993 6.5 3500 DWR Ext Cab
    205,000 miles, GM-8 turbo, 3" downpipe,
    straight exhaust to duals, '97 Airbox,
    fabb'd mech boost controller, 1/4 turnup on 4911, triple gauges

Arrow

If you have pics too large to attach to a post, upload them to the TDP Photo Album, and link them into the page. The Photo Album is available to all registered users, and the size restrictions are much more generous than the inline attachments, and it will automatically resize images to several sizes. PM/email me or a mod for help with this, if needed.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Just a suggestion here. Please make sure that before you post the vendor you got it from, make sure you’ve contacted them and they refuse to warrantee or do anything for you. Not fair to post the vendor in a "no support" thread if you haven't checked with them first. I assume you have also contact AMG? You can contact them from their website, I've done it a few times and they are very responsive. It would be nice to know what their responses are.

Very disconcerting if a new AMG crate motor cracked. Was your engine a complete engine including IP? Reason I ask is that I believe complete engines are test fired and the IP is set correctly. If not, did you or a mechanic set the IP? I would think that if the IP were set too far retarded it would probably put a lot of additional stress on the internals including the block webbing. Just curious.

Art.
    Art Paltz
    1999 Suburban K2500 6.5TD (stock)
    2000 Undercover Dragster, 468 BBC, 7.74@173MPH, waiting on new 622 aluminum BBC to be finished.
    1992 Tube Chassis Camaro, 468 BBC, 8.54@157MPH (SOLD)
    1987 Buick Grand National, 11.8@114, pump gas (for sale)
    1969 Camaro SS/RS 396-350HP, stock restoration, it never leaves the garage...

Arrow

I found this post made by klink Nov 9, 2007.
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=29836

In it he said:

Quote Originally Posted by klink k5 View Post
    I bought a NEW 6.5l form international diesel engines out of brooklyn New York in july 2005. I have a little over 20,000 miles on it and devistation stuck the other day. I was driving it down the road and I lost all of my heat. I shut it down to check the coolant level and it was low. I filled it with water to find the leak, I did not see any running out of the engine so I checked the oil level. Boy it was FULL! I pulled the pan last night to find the problem and This DAM NEW ENGINE main webs cracked on #2 & #3 main webs! Why would the latest and greatest block fail already? Engine showed no signs of FAILURE or Problems at ALL! Still ran good before pulling the pan. Now I have nothing, were do I get a NEW BLOCK to FIX MYengine.
    I would want to get a careful look at it before assuming it's a newer AMG engine. The complete forum thread linked here raises some questions...

Jim

Using the posted casting numbers from the other thread, can anyone verify this is in fact an AMG block? Maybe it's a new block with a suspect crank or bad balancer. You start a crank wobbling and even the best block is going to fail.

Art.
    Art Paltz
    1999 Suburban K2500 6.5TD (stock)
    2000 Undercover Dragster, 468 BBC, 7.74@173MPH, waiting on new 622 aluminum BBC to be finished.
    1992 Tube Chassis Camaro, 468 BBC, 8.54@157MPH (SOLD)
    1987 Buick Grand National, 11.8@114, pump gas (for sale)
    1969 Camaro SS/RS 396-350HP, stock restoration, it never leaves the garage...