Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 01 2500HD 4x4 Should I buy???

Default 01 2500HD 4x4 Should I buy???

Hi everyone, as im sure my post count would give away i'm new here. I kind of poked around a bit in this forum and I have a few questions as I'm planning on buying a truck within the week. I'd like to start off by saying i have never owned a diesel pick up and have only driven them for work, so my knowledge is very limited. The truck I'm looking at buying is an '01 2500hd 4x4 crew cab with the 6.6l DMax and automatic transmission. The dealership is asking 14k for it and it has 118k miles on the clock and has been fully winterized (Currently stationed in fairbanks, AK). I took it for a spin today and tried out all of the transfer case options (2h,4h,4l) to make sure all locked in and functioned properly (everything seems to be running fine). Does this sound like a reasonable deal to you and what should i be looking at under the hood and around the truck. Also from this forum i've read that injectors are an issue with this year/model, what should i look for to see if that service has been done and if not how much is replacement normally. And one last thing (I promise) do all of these trucks come with the Allison trans. for this year or should i be looking somewhere in the VIN code to figure that out. Thanks so much in advance for your insight and help, sorry about the long first post.

Trucks with a duramax engine has a allison tranny. If your worried about the injectors ask the dealer to do a vin history on it and see if the injectors has been changed. Also check the transfer case for leaks b/c there common for the pump rubing a hole in the case and causing it to leak. Also check after you drive it look under it and check for puddles on the ground.

ok thanks a lot!! I'll give that a little looksee before i sign on the dotted line then.

Too old for that money, IMO - look around for an '06 with similar miles for a few thousand more...or if you must stay at that dollar range, at least hold out shop for a 2003 or early 2004 with VIN code '1' in the 8th position - (LB7). Rationale: Depending on the mileage (< 200K) and the GM 'in-service date', you might have a smidge of factory injector warranty left on an '03 or '04...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...fCarsQ5fTrucks

One maintenance problem with the early LB7 models is the expense of injector replacement. Valve covers must be removed and resealed. Later models (LLY, LBZ, etc.) injectors can all be replaced through the covers, with less labor. Also, transfer case leakage issues seem to be almost certain in early model years, as mentioned...

Don't underestimate the value of REMAINING FACTORY WARRANTY - even a year, or 25K miles before you are on the hook for all repairs can be a nice 'shakedown' period to uncover any items that you'll otherwise have to pay for...

You are on the right path - don't settle for something a dealership is trying to sell you in this market. People trade in trucks for a reason, usually with hidden or deffered maintenance issues. (Why else would you accept trade-in value?) Buy from a confident, honest private party, get the warranty info from a dealership, and maintenance history from the seller, don't buy any jacked-up kid's truck that has been lifted, chipped, and modded - buy an old geezer's bone stock creampuff truck that was used to pull his fishing boat!

Good luck...
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 12-30-2009 at 08:42.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

thanks a lot mark, in your opinion if these repairs (i.e. injectors, t-case, etc) have already been performed (i'm having the dealer print out a CARFAX on the vehicle as soon as i get a chance to call him), would this then be a decent buy or should i set my sights on something a bit newer still? Also I'm pretty solid on my spending limit and I really need a vehicle in the near-distant future, so if this falls through i may not have the time to wait for another diesel to pop up.

Ask the dealer to run a Tech2 check on the injectors & give you the print out. That will also help to see if the injectors are 'fading'.
    1) '03 GMC 2500HD Dmax/Ali Ext/Short 4x4; 4" exhaust, egt and boost gauges; exhaust brake; Bilsteins; BD exhaust manifold; Oil Guard bypass; Lubrication pre oem fuel filter; Tekonsha Prodigy; Mag-Hytec differential cover; Suncoast V transmission w/deep oil sump
    2) '07 Classic GMC 2500HD Dmax/Ali Ext/Short 4x4'; Bilsteins, Silastic shackles, BD exhaust manifold; Oil Guard bypass; Lubrication pre oem fuel filter; Tekonsha Prodigy; Federico sway bars; Dipricol boost and egt gauges; Transgo Jr,, Mag-Hytec differential and transmission pan

IF

the injectors have already been done (recently);

and IF

the transfer case upgrade has been done;

and IF

they will put in writing that they will cover both items for an additional 50K miles;

THEN

its probably a reasonable deal.

HOWEVER (fuzzy logic begins here)

a similar deal on a 2003 or early 2004 with warranty remaining, would be a much safer buy!

REMEMBER

LB7 injector warranty is 7 years from in-service date, or 200K miles, whichever comes first - on any 2001 to early 2004 VIN code '1' truck...

There is NO savings if you spend ~4K (out-of-pocket, not financed) on a new set of 8 injectors within the first two years, IMO!!!

(...from an old mainframe computer programmer!)
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion6R View Post
    thanks a lot mark, in your opinion if these repairs (i.e. injectors, t-case, etc) have already been performed (i'm having the dealer print out a CARFAX on the vehicle as soon as i get a chance to call him), would this then be a decent buy or should i set my sights on something a bit newer still? Also I'm pretty solid on my spending limit and I really need a vehicle in the near-distant future, so if this falls through i may not have the time to wait for another diesel to pop up.
    BTW - its not a 'CarFax' that you want, its GMs warranty/service history report, that can be run at any GM dealership with your truck's VIN. If the selling dealer is not GM, take the CarFax, and then go get the GM report from a gen-u-whine GM dealer.

DO NOT BUY THIS TRUCK WITHOUT GETTING THIS REPORT.

The dealer is not a GM dealership, however i called the dealership in town and i'm currently waiting on a response from them...It's starting to seem like this vehicle is a lot more trouble than it's worth

Well don't let me complicate things, but what is suggested here may save you thousands...your call.

well i checked GM's report and the injectors and all of the hoses in the driveline were replaced less than 8k miles ago under warranty, it's an original owner vehicle and i checked underneath and there are no drips or leaks anywhere...also i discovered while under there that the shocks are brand spanking new as well as the winterization kit...i talked the dealer down a grand and brought her home today

Congrats - sounds like a good deal with recent injectors, hoses, and a clean truck.

There are really no 'bad' years for Duramaxes, just subtle changes over the years, and injector/warranty expenses to be considered. Glad I didn't discourage you from buying.

Look forward to hearing more about your truck as you roll on the miles!

Were you talking about my truck in an earlier post Mark:

"buy an old geezer's bone stock creampuff truck"

I do have a '06 LBZ that is bone stock and a creampuff. The only changes I have made are the new towing mirrors I bought from Kennedy.

But mine isn't for sale. I'm going to drive it until my son in law inherits it when I no longer need it.

Happy New Years to all.

Ed
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Well, Ed it sure sounds like you have the ideal '06...let me know if that son-in-law doesn't deserve such a nice truck. LOL

Default ...it's -20 degrees out and it wont start

So today marks my second day of ownership of my 01 dmax...and oh lovely it's -20 degrees out and I'm having difficulty starting it (and by difficulty i mean it's a non-event). I filled it up to 3/4 tank last night from 1/4 that it was when i picked it up from the dealership...and in an awesome newbie move forgot to add anti-gel to the tank. It was plugged in all night, but still didnt want to start, just added anti-gel to the tank, but i'm sure the fuel in the lines is probably gelled as well. Any ideas on how i can get her fired up short of towing to a warm garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rinker View Post
    Congrats - sounds like a good deal with recent injectors, hoses, and a clean truck.

There are really no 'bad' years for Duramaxes, just subtle changes over the years, and injector/warranty expenses to be considered. Glad I didn't discourage you from buying.

Look forward to hearing more about your truck as you roll on the miles!

i'm definitely glad i got it checked out and all...now if i could just get the darned thing started again up here in the frigid arctic we'd be in business hahahan

NutNbutGMC Guest

The dealer is not a GM dealership, however i called the dealership in town and i'm currently waiting on a response from them...It's starting to seem like this vehicle is a lot more trouble than it's worth
    Good luck.

i'm definitely glad i got it checked out and all...now if i could just get the darned thing started again up here in the frigid arctic we'd be in business hahahan
    What temps are you dealing with? Block heater good? Thats all it should take...4hrs on the plug. Duramaxes are great winter starters/runners...NO ETHER!
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 01-01-2010 at 09:23.

If you absolutely have to get going, I'd suggest FPPF Meltdown.

Best would be to get it into warmth and treat the fuel properly.

I like FPPF Total Power for all around treatment. If you want to make absolutely certain that you go I would blend in about 30% K1 or D1 for temps as cold as you are seeing.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Hi
    You should be fine with the fuel,every fuel station will be selling winter fuel by now,you could try changing the filter it may be old with water and gunk in it if it hasn't been changed for a while.Try pumping the hand pump till it getts hard to pump then try bleeding out some air from the bleed screw
    Are you sure the plug in works?Where was the truck parked at the dealer you bought it from? You could phone them and ask how they got it to go.
    Good luck
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews