Thread: cost to rebuild

Default cost to rebuild

Can anyone just give me a rough estimate of what it would cost to rebuild a 6.2 engine? Maybe give me an idea of a stock price for an aspirated engine and an engine with turbo with better parts.

Cool Cost to rebuild

where are you located will be a factor in the cost of a rebuild. Are you doing most of the work yourself. How much after market and performance parts are being added. Look at some of our advertisers for ideas on cost of complete drop ins. Some of us have done the "I just need to clean-up a few things on the engine routine" and hate to admit to the finial cost of the clean-up, but have one sweet engine in the end. Another question is the engine running now and what is it in at present and what is it doing (it maybe something simple that someone can help with and be a very cheap fix or repair.
    1985 K1500-sold
    79 dually 4x4-soon to have modified 6.2/6.5l turbo
    1996 shortbox-extended cab 2WD 1500 6.5L

I did my full rebuild for about 4500, it was 1500 for the rebuild parts from Diesel Depot, 1500 for machine work and heads, 1000 for my turbo, serpentine belt setup and exhuast, and 1000 dollars for miscillaneous little things I don't really remember(oil cooler, oilcooler lines, gaskets, sealents, bolts, etc..). If I were to do it over again, I would get a new crank for peace of mind and new AMG heads, because I think my rebuilt 400 dollar ones are making a ticking sound.

So to build a moderate performing turbo diesel, with all new or rebuilt besides IP it should cost you around 4000-5000 dollars. I did all the assembly myself and shopped around for my turbo setup and serpentine setup.

A normal 6.2 build I assume could be much less. Probably around 2000 dollars if you just got a normal rebuild kit and the minimum machining, which would depend on the condition of the engine you are building.
    '83 Blazer, DB2 built like 4911 by Accurate Diesel, 6.5 oil pump, 6.5 turbo injectors, 82 6.2 block, 6.5 heads, serpentine, gm-4 turbo with turbo master, timing gears, custom stud girdle, lower compression
    Pics: http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s205/kkarlson_photo/