Thread: DIY suspension lift

Default DIY suspension lift

Just thinking out loud here but please tell me if it'll work or not.

Not quite sure what the spring ratings are but here goes.

remove front springs and replace with a spare set of rear springs. Maybe add an extra leaf or two if required. I know they're narrower but it should be possible to adapt them to fit. The extra bow should give maybe a couple of inches of lift.

Do a shackle flip on the rear and again maybe add an extra leaf or two if required.

Reason I'm thinking about this is I need to do a lift so the tyres I bought don't foul on full lock so the chevy will pass its annual test over here and nobody I've contacted has as yet replied to my enquiries on shipping costs for lift kits.

simon.
    84 M1009 CUCV 6.2 'J' spec everyday runaround

83 M1008 CUCV everyday runaround/workhorse.

83 M1008 CUCV 6.2 'J' spec budget project off roader.

why not just get a cheap body lift? they are like 100 bucks for 3"

honestly i would just cut the wheel wells. you can fit huge tires on no lift. seriously. check out bushwacker cutout fender flares.

Chris
    1984 Chevy Suburban 1500, 6.2 auto.
    black, red and light rust.

2003 Ford Ranger Edge- 3.0V6, 5 Speed, 2wd. selling soon

2003 Saturn ION, UGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Looking for a good condition blazer for the wife.

Default Ditto on cutouts and body lift

Fender cutouts most cost effective and common way to go for larger tires. Not knowing UK or EU standards relating to sides tires sticking out of fender well you may need extended cut out fender flares. I've seen the use of lawn poly/plastic lawn edging to extend out over cutout fender wells to cover tires where regulations require tires to be covered.

A body lift are a great idea however there maybe issues at the radiator shroud and cooling fan clearance so radiator shroud modifications are required. The body lift would allow the same ride as now, stiffer springs may prevent full articulation of axles.

Anyway, good luck with your effort!
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

Personally I'd try to stay away from a body lift. It will increase your center of gravity, while (IMO) giving minimal benefits (yes, it will allow larger tires - but you might as well cut the fender openings and throw on some flares). Linkages have to be rerouted, it puts more stresses on body mounts, and other fun things. From what I understand, you want to add height so the big tires will be less likely to rub while steering - cutting fenders and a body lift wont help all to much there either, unless they only rub on the fender. Your idea sounds pretty good - if you have the fabrication skills to successfully pull it off. It is pretty common on other vehicles (say full size jeeps) to do things like swap rear springs to the front and flip the shackles in the rear.

I'd say go for it!
    Frankenjeep Finally being put together -1967 Jeep J-3000 cab, 1975 cherokee chassis, '88 goodwrench j-code 6.2, t-18, dana 20, 32" wrangler mtr's

Search coloradok5.com its a website for fullsize gm offroading.
    It sound like you want to mount the 52 inch rear springs on the front.
    That well get you about 4-4.5 inches of lift. Do a search over there for rear springs up front or 52's up front. Also search for shackle flip, there will be a couple of company's that make a shackle flip and also how to make your own.

Bryan
    1999 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4 H2 Wheels and tires
    1984 Chevy Blazer 6.2l with timing gear set