Thread: rebuild

Default rebuild

Anybody have any info on rebuilding an '01 d-max, thinking of doing it myself. Mainly want to know where a kit is and how much it is, along with any genius opinion anyone might have, thank you

Question

First answer this, why are you rebuilding?
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

Default answer

I've got 230,000 miles, and it's still running strong, but I'm just curious because I plan on having it for a while and would like to know anything anybody knows about rebuild kits.

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

You can rebuild, but....

Save yourself a bunch of hassle, time and money, and plan on a take-out from a wreck. It's just too easy, compared to an overhaul. They go through Ebay all the time for less than 6K, complete. Watch for one, and snag it when it's convenient (like not when you really need it). Preserve and store it, and it's only a weekend job to swap it out when the time comes. When you figure the time and expense involved, it'll cost less than 1/2 of an overhaul, with fewer surprises.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by smuddog View Post
    I've got 230,000 miles, and it's still running strong, but I'm just curious because I plan on having it for a while and would like to know anything anybody knows about rebuild kits.
    Barring abuse (racing, etc) I'd bet the engine will live for much longer than you think. As long as the engine still starts, runs and performs normally, I'd not think much about a rebuild.

Jim

I've done that , bought a spare engine, knowing one day I would need it for my old truck, guess what its still sitting where I put it back in 84.
    You know if you change the fluids regularly and filters, its just really hard to wear one out.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.