Thread: new 6.5 in my 01 3/4 burb??

Default new 6.5 in my 01 3/4 burb??

I am dreaming, but I was thinking about adapting a 6.5 in my 01 burb. I have alot of miles, and the truck is in great cond. I can get a lot better price on a 6.5, than any other engine, and i thought that my L480 would match up to it?? Any insights on this would be great!! Could this work?? I love the 2000-on bodys so much better than my old 98 6.5 burb. Jim. what do you think??

If you have the GMT800 platform I would go with a duramax. They were designed to run in that chassis and would be a way easier swap. Throw in an allison trans and you will be laughing!
    Joshua R. L. Certified Journeyman Automotive Service Technician

1997 K1500 6.5T, DSG gears 'n' girdles 364k
    1997 K2500 5.7, 428k
    1999 K2500 6.5T, 514K
    1961 Apache 10 SWB panel, work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by 97-6.5TD-F View Post
    If you have the GMT800 platform I would go with a duramax. They were designed to run in that chassis and would be a way easier swap. Throw in an allison trans and you will be laughing!
    Have to agree, if I was to do this I would get a complete donarcar, for exampe a similar rigg that was rearended. since there is so much elerctronics involved in the swap... not just the engine. The gearbox is allso involved as I undrestand it... is controlled electronically.

Seems to be quite a project.

My 1988 G20 is converted to an -94 6.5 and I know when this was done they had quite a struggle to get it running. The coversion was made in -97
    Chevy G20 -88 / -94 drivetrain 6.5L

Quote Originally Posted by Vandermax View Post
    I am dreaming, but I was thinking about adapting a 6.5 in my 01 burb. I have alot of miles, and the truck is in great cond. I can get a lot better price on a 6.5, than any other engine, and i thought that my L480 would match up to it?? Any insights on this would be great!! Could this work?? I love the 2000-on bodys so much better than my old 98 6.5 burb. Jim. what do you think??

Hey Mark, Do a little shopping on eBay to see what it'll cost to get a 2001-2004 Duramax and Allison. I'd guess a complete conversion using a low mile engine/trans would cost on the order of $10K, when factoring in the extra stuff you'd need aside from the engine/trans.

Doing a 6.5 conversion is also possible. The new P400 longblock is going for $6000-6500 without any accessories. Using a mechanical 6.5 with all of the electronics the newer Burbs use will require some creativity and possibly some compromise. And, a DMAX Sub would be worth more.

Jim

Matt at penninsular was eyeballing this exact scenario the last time i talked to him. We both understand your thought process. I have a customer with an 02 hd 1500 crew cab that i would love to buy & remove the 6.0 & install a penn 18:1 with intercooler. Now its looking like you can buy the very latest amg engine as well for a pretty decent price. Personally, every decision i make on my truck is not driven by bottom line, i happen to love the simplicity & personality of the 6.5. Call it a hobby if you will. I am not intimidated by the tech in the new diesels, i work on this stuff every day, the 6.2s & 6.5s just got into my blood i guess. I dont think we are alone or matt wouldnt have been persuing this project.
    95 K2500 6 lug ecsb leather silverado, 2006 amg 18:1, kennedy exhaust, no cat, heath 2.0, heath boost control, ss diesel air filter, ata intercooler, high idle, bf goodrich 285/75/16 all terrains, remote pmd, three guage pillar pod