Thread: Help!!! Mechanical clutch for 6.2L?

Default Help!!! Mechanical clutch for 6.2L?

First off, I'm converting my truck to diesel...

OK, I've got my 6.5L (6.2 block bored up) and when I pulled the old 350 I noticed that the z-bar for the clutch mounts up to the block as well as the frame (truck came from the factory w/ the 3 on the tree manual). The 6.2/6.5 doesn't have the mounting holes or even bosses for the holes to mount the z-bar. In fact, where the z-bar would mount (if I welded on the block) is where the oil cooler ports are. Any ideas? I know that the 85 and up (and possibly earlier) trucks have the hydraulic clutch and I could go that direction but I'd REALLY like to keep the mechanical setup. I was thinking of doing a horizontal a-frame setup to support the z-bar on the engine side and bolting to the frame on both sides of the factory frame mount using 1/8" or 1/4" steel but...?

Thanks ahead for any ideas!

Brian

Here's some pics:

The old setup

and the new motor:

again, any ideas?

That casting boss between the oil cooler lines should be threaded. It is on early models with mechanical linkage. I'd say there is a good possibility you could drill and tap it with no harm, but can't say for sure.
    white '93 K2500 started it all..
    red '94 K3500 old faithful
    black '93 K3500 daily driver
    '83 G20 conversion van
    '74 C65 truck diesel conversion...

Arrow

The boss is on the engine, but not tapped. I wouldn't tap it, if it were me. I would fab a bracket that either bolts to the frame, or to other existing fasteners on the engine, like the bell housing bolts. It would be simple to use stud-cap bolts, and mount your bracket to them. The stud-cap bolts are available OEM. Your 350 probably has a couple of them on it. If your current bellcrank (z-bar, as you call it) doesn't cooperate with a new configuration, you could fab that, too. It isn't rocket science, and has a simple function. It would probably be better than OEM in the end, anyway.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

and I figured that boss was some sort of other oil passage!

Dmax: we call it a z-bar on the 67-72 chevy truck message board... I like the idea of mounting a bracket to the bellhousing... hmmmm... completely to the frame might be better, though... your thought?

Thanks to both! You give me hope...