Thread: P400 Turbo Diesel 4x4 Dually

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

nice truck
    99 gmc 3500hd

So sorry you had to go through such a tortureous path to get a usable engine for your rig.

So many folks including good mechanics can be fooled by the 6.5 into thinking its crack free.

Many shops simply dont know where to look and or how to easily find the cracks.

Buying a 6.5 off the internet is a very sketchy proposition at best and unless the seller knows a lot about them he/she can be selling a door stop and not realize it.

As you have found out some folks are honest and some are not.

The freight is always a killer though on stuff that heavy.

A few years back I bought two 6.2 blocks off ebay and had them shipped.
    Both were crack free and in very good condition. (Lucky)

Glad you got your ride all squared away and going.

I love the mid 90's body style trucks.

I own a 95 Dually crewcab with the 6.5 TD

Have fun and enjoy the beast

Best

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I had my truck in the same shop as your truck a couple months ago and JR told me of your woes. I was going to stop in and see the new engine but I forgot all about it. Hope all is well now. I'll keep my eye out for you locally. I live in Surrey and work in N Delta. Happy trucking.
    Brett
    2005 GMC Sierra SLT Dually Crew, 4x4, stock
    71,000 kms

a5150nut, rodburner, thanks for the comments.

Robyn... the knowledge and experience you bring to the diesel page is a wonderful thing! Your comments on a previous thread about the oil pan fabrication were appreciated! I saw your latest truck... its a sweet ride. i think of these trucks as Old School with attitude!

I am new to diesels, but have wrenched since I could pick them up. After studying the issue of cracks.. I believe the older 6.5's run fine with them. At least all my motors ran fine.. but died of other causes.

I was going to write a blurb on the whole business of buying a long block off the internet. I came across some very shady companies.. who claim NEW blocks, but charge for the core. I thought I would need a lawyers advise before pen'ing the names onto paper. People should be aware of companies selling Chinese blocks with names similar to optimizer... and other scammers ready to sell you something supposedly dyno-tested for 1 hour, when they probably don't even have a dyno. I could ramble on for an hour about this... it bugs me. I am very happy to have purchased the strongest 6.5 currently offered.

Brett, I saw your rig in the shop too... I hope its rolling better with the new rear end, brakes, and bushing kits. PM me if you ever want to chat.

Cheers to driving a diesel!

A picture of me and someone else... you can probably figure out who I am.

Nice Truck! I to just went through new engine blues.I bought a peninsular 18:1.They have good reputation.Just had reflashed computer installed yesterday. Hooked on to my fifth wheel today for maiden pull this weekend.Good luck!!!
    98 c/c l/b 4x4 dually 6.5td i/c,boost cntrl,boch h/f,4in straight ex,boost/pyro guages &h/f air

Have a great long weekend d.h.!
    I regret that I did not do the 18:1 which was a standing option I had turned down. It will definately add life to your power plant!
    Cheers!