Thread: Smaller diesel engine, that would replace a gas inline four?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

http://http://edmontonjeep.com/forum...pic.php?t=4652

here you go for $800........i'm not sure if its still for sale or not though.
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

hmmm.
    I'm not really sure if I can get a trailer to tow now.

If I do a diesel swap, I want to figure out everything I need.
    I'm worried about a transmission. Not sure what will fit, or work. I'm not sure if I want automatic or stick. Its a stick truck now, so would I be able to retain all the pedal and stuff now? I got the rear end figured out. I'm going to use a 4x4 94 up i think ford explorer posi rear.
    I would like to use a four cylinder, because its not as heavy (don't think so at least)
    Id like to turbo it aswell.
    I'm thinking if I were to do a V8 diesel it would be a 6.2 with 6.5 or homebuilt turbo setup.

theres alot of things I'm not 100% sure about.
    Went to the NADP August blackout. I love the power that diesels put out, the turbo spooling, the smoke, the noise. I would love to have a diesel in my truck.

A Toyota diesel would probably a decent setup. Toyota engine, and whatever transmission will fit that. I'd definitley want a turbo.

Found a 1L toyota diesel in Calgary, with trans but trans needs to be rebuilt. Comes with mounts, rad, intake, wiring, glow plug gear... might buy it..
    Last edited by Gearstix; 08-17-2008 at 19:49.

Check on parts availability for the tranny. My Toyota shop - I've been friends with the owner for years - steered me away from a Toyota motorhome because the transmission is almost impossible to get parts for.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearstix View Post

A Toyota diesel would probably a decent setup. Toyota engine, and whatever transmission will fit that. I'd definitley want a turbo.

Found a 1L toyota diesel in Calgary, with trans but trans needs to be rebuilt. Comes with mounts, rad, intake, wiring, glow plug gear... might buy it..
    I have a 1984 Toyota 2wd pickup with a 2L (2.4 litre, 2L is just the engine name). Its in pretty darn good shape for its age and it starts and runs like a clock......and your in luck because I'm kinda wanting to get rid of it.

You can send me an email at ssapach@hotmail.com and I can send you some pics if you like.

If you seriously want that engine in your chevy, it will have all the parts to make it run. It would just seem like a shame to rip apart a truck like that just for an engine.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Quote Originally Posted by gophergunner View Post
    I have a 1984 Toyota 2wd pickup with a 2L (2.4 litre, 2L is just the engine name). Its in pretty darn good shape for its age and it starts and runs like a clock......and your in luck because I'm kinda wanting to get rid of it.

You can send me an email at ssapach@hotmail.com and I can send you some pics if you like.

If you seriously want that engine in your chevy, it will have all the parts to make it run. It would just seem like a shame to rip apart a truck like that just for an engine.
    Hmm... why don't you put a 350 gas or v8 diesel in it?
    I'll send you an email...

I have this thing posted up for sale a few places. So, not to be pushy or anything, but first guy wanting it bad enough and has the cash gets it.

hmm. I'm not really sure if I'd be able to buy the stuff from you gopher.
    Don't take it off the market.. if it sells and I don't buy it, Oh well.

I've got another 6.2 question.
    If I get a 6.2, could I use a small block chevrolet transmission, that would have been bolted to a gas engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearstix View Post
    hmm. I'm not really sure if I'd be able to buy the stuff from you gopher.
    Don't take it off the market.. if it sells and I don't buy it, Oh well.

I've got another 6.2 question.
    If I get a 6.2, could I use a small block chevrolet transmission, that would have been bolted to a gas engine?

yes it can, what transmission are you looking at?
    1976 m882 shortened with a 6.2 diesel, np205 and sm465 and HMMWV tires
    1992 Jeep YJ wrangler (project) plans are: 6.2 diesel engine, SM-465, Np-205, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear
    1989 GMC suburban, 6.5 TD, TH400, Np-241, dana 44 front , 14bolt rear with Gov locker.
    1997 Kenworth T800, 3406 Cat 575 HP, 18 speed, 4 speed Aux, 3.73 rears
    1986 K30 M1008 6.2 diesel th400 np208 4.56 gears dana 60 front and 14 blt rear

N/A? = Non-Aspirated? Not Available? Needs Air?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ