Thread: Smaller diesel engine, that would replace a gas inline four?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post

Curiously, neither one really shows any detail of the engine swap.
    I did not have any photos of the engine compartment because I made the foolish mistake of bolting in the motor with the 350 conversion mounts before I got the starter. If the frame is modified to use the mount location on the motor before install then starter fitment is a non issue. Also, the lift pump on the older motors is mechanical and did not clear on my frame. I used an electric lift pump. You will also need to remove the factory FI pump in the tank and modify the sender to make up the length of the pump. Heater box mods for clearance are necessary and a/c might be out of the question. Allin all the work involved was not that much more than most 350 conversions. Good luck.
    pics of 6.2 on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...ayphotohosting

Quote Originally Posted by thumpertrev View Post
    I did not have any photos of the engine compartment because I made the foolish mistake of bolting in the motor with the 350 conversion mounts before I got the starter. If the frame is modified to use the mount location on the motor before install then starter fitment is a non issue. Also, the lift pump on the older motors is mechanical and did not clear on my frame. I used an electric lift pump. You will also need to remove the factory FI pump in the tank and modify the sender to make up the length of the pump. Heater box mods for clearance are necessary and a/c might be out of the question. Allin all the work involved was not that much more than most 350 conversions. Good luck.
    pics of 6.2 on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...ayphotohosting
    I was told you have to move the passenger side engine mount ahead, 4 inches if I remeber right.
    would I have to mess with the fuel tank, if I run a fuel cell or something?
    My truck has no A/C, has heat and P/S. thats it. Its a pretty base model.
    Did you use the 2.8 V6 mounts, and then the 350 plates or whatever that allow you to bolt a v8 to the 2.8 mounts?
    I'm probably going to use a cowl hood, if it would help clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearstix View Post
    would I have to mess with the fuel tank, if I run a fuel cell or something?
    If the original truck was carburated or used throttle body injection, then you won't have to change out the in-tank pump. Pressure is fine for the IP. It's only the newer multi-port injection systems that use the high pressure pumps. Ran the Buick on the in-tank for about 2 years until it went to greener pastures. Replaced it with an in-line pump from NAPA for about 50 bucks. The new pump draws through the old pump fine. No need to even drop the tank. Kept the chassis fuel filter in place as added insurance, though it is a pain to replace, and used the older style box type diesel filter used in the earlier models of 6.2 trucks.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Quote Originally Posted by convert2diesel View Post
    If the original truck was carburated or used throttle body injection, then you won't have to change out the in-tank pump. Pressure is fine for the IP. It's only the newer multi-port injection systems that use the high pressure pumps. Ran the Buick on the in-tank for about 2 years until it went to greener pastures. Replaced it with an in-line pump from NAPA for about 50 bucks. The new pump draws through the old pump fine. No need to even drop the tank. Kept the chassis fuel filter in place as added insurance, though it is a pain to replace, and used the older style box type diesel filter used in the earlier models of 6.2 trucks.

Bill
    My truck is a fuel injected four cylinder right now.
    http://www.s10v8.com/store/product_i...products_id/49

Can I use that? it has an adjustable regulator.

My truck is a fuel injected four cylinder right now.
    http://www.s10v8.com/store/product_i...products_id/49

Can I use that? it has an adjustable regulator.
    Yes that regulator will work but I would check fuel rail pressure first. From your original picture, it looks like your truck is throttle body injected and as such would be using the low pressure pump. No need for the regulator.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Quote Originally Posted by convert2diesel View Post
    Yes that regulator will work but I would check fuel rail pressure first. From your original picture, it looks like your truck is throttle body injected and as such would be using the low pressure pump. No need for the regulator.

Bill
    It is throttle body injected, I forgot.

Would there be any problems running diesel through the existing fuel system?

Arrow

It is throttle body injected, I forgot.

Would there be any problems running diesel through the existing fuel system?
    No. But you'll need to install a return line to the tank.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com