Thread: Smaller diesel engine, that would replace a gas inline four?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

i wouldnt disagree with bill's input, MB makes a good engine.
    the search feature on this site doesnt allow for such a small search term as VW though im sure ive seen a conversion discussed here, but here is some more food for thought, visit this website:
    http://www.rocky-road.com/diesel.html
    the kit is meant for a suzuki samurai but with a samurai transmission and possibly alteration of your driveshaft, i doubt youd need much else to pull off the conversion. you could likely get the whole thing done and on the road for a reasonable price, especially if you find the engine and trans at the wreckers. you could also sell off your existing engine and trans to offset some of the cost, if theyre in good shape.

Nobody has mentioned this one yet.....but I recall my brother's roomate having a little toyota 4x4 reg cab pickup with an I-4 n/a diesel.

I even drove the truck after the engine was rebuilt. It started and ran great, sounded pretty nice too. But to be honest, it was gutless in even that small of a truck. The fuel mileage was great however, but I think it could have used a turbo.

Anyways, just one more option...
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Only thing is where I live..
    the junk yards are very picked over, theres not alot of selection.. I have to get my family to drive to Edmonton, Alberta, which is about 5-6 hours away.

You'd be very hard pressed to find a diesel powered car in the yards around Fort McMurray, theres only two here...

The gas engine in my truck now is known as the "gutless wonder". I'd like to swap in something that has a bit more jam, but still want to get decent mileage.

Fort McMurray eh...I spent a few summers up there working. Its only about 4 hrs drive to edmonton if you follow the flow of traffic.

Another thing came to mind, if you decide to venture out of Fort Mac for a motor, you could probably squeeze an Isuzu diesel into your truck. Should be quite reliable and long lasting engine, even if its used.

Just another though
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Quote Originally Posted by gophergunner View Post
    Fort McMurray eh...I spent a few summers up there working. Its only about 4 hrs drive to edmonton if you follow the flow of traffic.

Another thing came to mind, if you decide to venture out of Fort Mac for a motor, you could probably squeeze an Isuzu diesel into your truck. Should be quite reliable and long lasting engine, even if its used.

Just another though
    I'll keep looking, and if I find anything I'll post it up here.

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Diesel engines are getting harder to find in the yards as their demand is gaining with the folks making their own Bio with the high fuel prices.

That's why I still think a 6.2L is a great choice. It'll fit in the 350 convert kit, you can run the stock rear if you don't tow, offroad, or put a turbo on it. It weighs around 700 lbs, a bit heavy, but doable.

I know many 6.2L's above 300K and running strong. Parts are another fun thing. While the Jetta motor would be smaller and probably give far better efficiency, the initial cost of getting the motor would be much higher me thinks and if you would have to rebuild it, I bet it will cost more. I could be wrong, but look up the costs to have a foreign motor rebuilt. INSANE!!!

Plus this is a 6.2/6.5/6.6 site. Gotta promote what we work on!
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Too bad you aren't back here in the East. There are still lots of VW and Mercedes sitting in junk yards, all rusted out but with good mechanicals. Maybe you would have more luck on the rainy side of the mountains, especially where they use lots of salt on the roads. Buy the whole car as there are bound to be a number of bits and pieces you will need for the conversion.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Quote Originally Posted by AKMark View Post
    Diesel engines are getting harder to find in the yards as their demand is gaining with the folks making their own Bio with the high fuel prices.

That's why I still think a 6.2L is a great choice. It'll fit in the 350 convert kit, you can run the stock rear if you don't tow, offroad, or put a turbo on it. It weighs around 700 lbs, a bit heavy, but doable.

I know many 6.2L's above 300K and running strong. Parts are another fun thing. While the Jetta motor would be smaller and probably give far better efficiency, the initial cost of getting the motor would be much higher me thinks and if you would have to rebuild it, I bet it will cost more. I could be wrong, but look up the costs to have a foreign motor rebuilt. INSANE!!!

Plus this is a 6.2/6.5/6.6 site. Gotta promote what we work on!
    I missed your post last night..
    I'll make some calls around here. How much would a 6.2L used be worth, probably with 200-300K on the clock? What else would I need to make the swap other than mounts and stuff. Engine, trans...

Oh, and the hydro boost, what is that exactly?