Thread: Question About Dually Wheels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Question About Dually Wheels

Hey All,

I has a question about the size of the factory wheels on my 1994 Crew Cab Dually. Mainly I am looking for the inside diameter of the center hole. The aftermarket aluminum rims that are on there now have a space between the center hub and the rim, like they are held and centered only on the lug nuts. I am guessing that my ID is supposed to be 4.5 inches but it seems that the hub is slightly larger than that. The reason I am looking is because I want to buy some factory steel wheels (used of course, 250 at the dealer!.) Who ever put these aluminum wheels on must have really smoked them on, cracked them by the lug nuts all 8 holes both front wheels. I lessened the torque so they look a little better, but they are still structurally damaged. Anyways, long story short, do any dually owners out there know the exact size of bolt pattern, inside diameter, and width these trucks came with from the factory. Also on GMpartsdirect.com they show some kind of a spacer in the back for the factory wheels. I am just looking to make things completely OEM and I could use info to smooth the process. I put some pics of the aluminum rims, pretty ugly rims in my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JoeX87000031

1994 Chevrolet Silverado
    K3500 6.5L Turbo Diesel
    5 Speed Manual
    Crew Cab Dually
    135000 Miles
    F VIN 10000lbs GVW

Angry Duelly Wheels

first with those crack don't drive with them -get rid of them -unsafe at any any speed. second the spacer you are talking about goes on the outside of the rim and is is what the lug nut goes against and holds the rims on. There should be one on each corner including the rear. The hole in the center of the rim is 4.5 approx( taped across my spare tire). The rim should fit snuggly over the hub but not tight. The dealer price you quoted for the rims-is that for one or two. I put brand new rims on my dually 4x4 and the rims only cost 120.00cdn each(including overnight shipping and install)from a tire shop. If you want to fancy up the rims go with a set of stainless steel wheel covers from someone like pacific dually. Will clean the mud and grime off the tank and try and get some pictures posted for you of how they look and placement of the retaining ring
    1985 K1500-sold
    79 dually 4x4-soon to have modified 6.2/6.5l turbo
    1996 shortbox-extended cab 2WD 1500 6.5L

Default Thanks Wade

I'm Sorry, I looked at the wrong price in the GMPartsDirect, the list price, not my price which is $158.4 a wheel, but I need the retainer rings too so this could be pricy. Usually Alaska Sales and Service, the local Chevy dealer here in Anchorage is pretty spot on with the price. The only thing that stinks is that I have to get the steel wheels, the rings, lug nuts, and although not neccessary I would like to get the hub caps, hub cap holding bolts, and beauty rings. No matter what I would like to go with the steel wheels for strength. I really like OEM, but at $205.93 a corner including the ring, and at about $360 a corner all trimmed out the dealer just isn't an option. I certainly agree about not driving on it, the rig is in the garage with all the seats and carpet and dash out for dynamat, instrument panel lightbulbs and apholstry cleaning. Thanks again Wade, and if you could take some pics of how this is supposed to look with the retainer ring and how the lug nuts look I would really appreciate it. Take care all,
    JoeX87000031

1994 Chevrolet Silverado
    K3500 6.5L Turbo Diesel
    5 Speed Manual
    Crew Cab Dually
    135000 Miles
    F VIN 10000lbs GVW

This is in general, but wheels are mounted either "hub-centric" or "lug-centric". My old motorhome was hub-centric and I had to have spacers machined when I went from 16.5" wheels (several warped, and no longer made) to 16"s. My current coach has 19.5" lug-centric wheels, which is why the torque specified is >400 lb.-ft.

You need to know which you have (it sounds like hub-centric) before you use aftermarket wheels, but good luck getting a straight answer from anyone...
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Default Dually rims pictures

here are some pictures of the rims and mounting rims for your dually. The Rims and retainers are common from mid 70's to 200(?) on gm and chev one ton dually's and motor homes built on the same chassis
    1985 K1500-sold
    79 dually 4x4-soon to have modified 6.2/6.5l turbo
    1996 shortbox-extended cab 2WD 1500 6.5L

Exclamation Golden Rims!!

Just kidding,

There are no golden rims in the works, but at just over $1000 just for 4 steel wheels from the dealer they may as well be. Obviously the dealer simply isn't an option. Heck, I'd pay $260 just for the lug nuts. Another $250 for the bolt rings and $400 to trim them out with hubcaps, trim rings, and lug nut caps.

On the plus side, my good friends at the local junkyard have a nice looking set of 4 wheels and rings for 360. Gotta love used. I didn't ask the junkyard about the lug nuts, but I can get them new at NAPA for about $100 total. A lot of money for nuts if you think about.

I even had a fellow offer to sell me his rusty pitted set off an 82 dually with no trim for the smoking good price of $500. Looks like I am going to be looking for the original trim for awhile.

Thanks everyone for helping me out on this and take care,
    JoeX87000031

1994 Chevrolet Silverado
    K3500 6.5L Turbo Diesel
    5 Speed Manual
    Crew Cab Dually
    135000 Miles
    F VIN 10000lbs GVW