Thread: Water Pump Bolts

Default Water Pump Bolts

I'm finishing up the timing chain and water pump install.

Do all nine of these bolts need pointed out in the pic need sealant on the threads?

Are there other bolts that need sealant than what I have asked about on the water pump and front cover?

Do any of the nine not need sealant?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    97 GMC K3500 6.5TD 4.10 CC SRW +259K miles; Kennedy Fan Clutch w/ 20" steel fan; Greg's Oil Cooler Lines; Racor 445 30 micron w/ heater pre-lift pump; Dr Lee By-pass Oil Filter; High Idle Switch; Revo 265/75/R16 Load Range E tires

Bolt #1,2,6,7 needs the sealant, It wouldn't hurt if you did #5. Bolt #3,4,8,9 are into blind holes.
    I would also seal the two bolts that are in front of the cam gear to prevent oil vapor from migrating past the threads.
    William

97 Chevy Tahoe 2Dr 6.5 Kennedy Exhaust Pipes w/Homemade Resonator and Flowmaster Muffler, Turbo Tech intercooler and Kennedy/Westers computer
    01 Sunline 2363 Travel Trailer

Where's your baffle behind the injector pump gear.....?????

Default water pump bolt sealant

I recently did pump replacement on 02 express 6.5TD. GM manual and Alldata called for high temp sealant on all pump bolts. In addition, be sure to use the special (anaerobic Sealer on the mounting plate. I had a heck of a time finding it, ended up at Grainger Industrial Supply. Local auto supply stores claimed they had pump sealant but non were anaerobic, (cures in absence of air).

I did the Kennedy pump upgrade on my old engine, and found anerobic at both NAPA and Advance Auto Parts. It took two tubes at ~$5 per. Napa also has a paper gasket for this pump.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.