Thread: Predator does not communicate with ECM

Default Predator does not communicate with ECM

Hi, i just got my predator from kennedydiesel and tried to tune my dmax today, i chosed "tune it", then "automatic transmission" and it said please wait, communicating, then my gauges in the panel started to move up and down and the DIC display said "unknown driver" and after a while the message "acces denied" appeared on the predator.. what's going on??

Arrow

It's been a looong time (relatively) since I used my Predator the first time, so bear with me.......

On the LB7's, you have to "marry" the Predator to the truck the first time you use it (after that, it will only program that truck/PCM, but will read codes from others). It will tell you how, but you have to read the owner's manual. You can also check the vehicle ID in the "troubleshooting options" of the programmer, and it should show it "locked" to a vehicle (car, I think it says). If it shows "unlocked", it needs to be locked to your truck. If that doesn't help, contact the MFG or Kennedy.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    It's been a looong time (relatively) since I used my Predator the first time, so bear with me.......

On the LB7's, you have to "marry" the Predator to the truck the first time you use it (after that, it will only program that truck/PCM, but will read codes from others). It will tell you how, but you have to read the owner's manual. You can also check the vehicle ID in the "troubleshooting options" of the programmer, and it should show it "locked" to a vehicle (car, I think it says). If it shows "unlocked", it needs to be locked to your truck. If that doesn't help, contact the MFG or Kennedy.
    yes i have read that in the predator manual, and the predator must recieve my factory tuning from my ECM and then it will be "married" to my truck, but the problem is that i did not get that far with the process..
    it was about to download factory tuning when the "access denied" appeared.

Arrow

I dunno. Pull all unnecessary fuses, close the doors, no accessories on (radio, blower, lights, etc.) and make sure the E-brake is set, before you plug in the programmer or turn the ignition to on (the E-brake will also prevent the headlamps/DRL's from operating). The ignition must be "ON", engine off. Some trucks are more sensitive than others. Mine never fails. Neither does my friend's 2003, but some have to have everything just so. Any electrical modifications or additions you've made could effect it, also.

Drop an email to Kennedy. He should be able to help better than I.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    I dunno. Pull all unnecessary fuses, close the doors, no accessories on (radio, blower, lights, etc.) and make sure the E-brake is set, before you plug in the programmer or turn the ignition to on (the E-brake will also prevent the headlamps/DRL's from operating). The ignition must be "ON", engine off. Some trucks are more sensitive than others. Mine never fails. Neither does my friend's 2003, but some have to have everything just so. Any electrical modifications or additions you've made could effect it, also.

Drop an email to Kennedy. He should be able to help better than I.
    i have done all that you mention, pulled the three fuses Radio, radio amp and info as the manual said, and turned off the fan, set parkbrake, turned off everything else too, but the seat belt lamp was flashing, i doubt it can be just that sensitive...
    i'll mail KD!

Arrow

The Predator is sensitive to anomalous electrical activity. For best results the engine should be at operating temperature (no glow plug/intake heater activity), batteries fully charged, On-Star fuses pulled, radio off, seat belt latched, no parking brake, HVAC off, no dome lights (doors closed), and so on....

In my case, attempting a load on a cold engine resulted in a trip to the dealer to re-program the ECM. I told them exactly what happened. The tech just smiled....

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    The Predator is sensitive to anomalous electrical activity. For best results the engine should be at operating temperature (no glow plug/intake heater activity), batteries fully charged, On-Star fuses pulled, radio off, seat belt latched, no parking brake, HVAC off, no dome lights (doors closed), and so on....

In my case, attempting a load on a cold engine resulted in a trip to the dealer to re-program the ECM. I told them exactly what happened. The tech just smiled....

Jim
    now i tried to turn off just everything, but it's still the same, access denied and when i press esc. it says Script error.
    i wont try any more times because i dont want the ECM to f*ck up..
    i'll wait and see what kennedy says about it..

Arrow

I get a "script error" once in a while. It is usually when I try to do too many things at one session. Unplugging the programmer for a few seconds works every time. If you have it plugged in continually, nothing you do will prevent this from happening. It must be unplugged from the diagnostic port (powered down), then reconnected. All conditions (E-brake, fuses, etc.) must be met before the programmer is connected to the truck. Also, if you have DTC's set in history, it may interfere with the programmer's access to the PCM. Make sure all codes are clear, and none are present, current or historical. Disconnecting the batteries for a period (hour or so) may help.

Are you able to view real time parameters or diagnostic features?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Is it possible that the ECM could have been previously programmed and locked?

Also, might be a good idea to verify the part number of the predator and version number. The version should come up at power up and the part number should be on the box and unit.

Also, things like aftermarket stereos XM etc can give these things grief.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I am able to see real time data and read&clear DTC's, but there's a couple of DTC's under the section "DTC'S not ran SCC" that i can't erase.
    i have no aftermarket stereo etc. only the pyro gauge is aftermarket.

the version is Bios-V6.01
    Mfg.date 09/02
    Serial No 005001
    Tool ID 8B72A9024C70DE86
    Part number on the box is U7180

i talked to a "local" GM dealer and they havn't any equipment to reflash the PCM, so i think the only dealer that can do this is the GM importer and they are too far away (350miles one direction..)

My guess is that the previous owner did something with the computer that copy protected/locked it.

About the only suggestion that I have is that we can exchange it and hope that a different one works. Before we go to shipping Internationally, I'll try to set up an email conversation between you and Diablo Tech to see if they have any further ideas. If it is truly locked it just isn't going to communicate. We can set up a different PCM from salvage, but then you may as well upgrade to my Kennedy Custom tuning.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    My guess is that the previous owner did something with the computer that copy protected/locked it.

About the only suggestion that I have is that we can exchange it and hope that a different one works. Before we go to shipping Internationally, I'll try to set up an email conversation between you and Diablo Tech to see if they have any further ideas. If it is truly locked it just isn't going to communicate. We can set up a different PCM from salvage, but then you may as well upgrade to my Kennedy Custom tuning.
    ok, lets see if diablo has any further ideas, but i think that the PCM may be locked, i can still use all other functions on my predator, and if it were damaged i dont think i could do that..

It's tough to say. Looking around the Forums here it apprears as though this truck in general may be quite problematic??? We might want to look at a list of other issues as well as any other history you can provide.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    It's tough to say. Looking around the Forums here it apprears as though this truck in general may be quite problematic??? We might want to look at a list of other issues as well as any other history you can provide.
    well this truck (and all the electronics in it) is going to drain the last coins out of my wallet..
    I got it in april this year and have already changed injectors, a cylinder head, and the alternator. the transmission is leaking oil, the climate control (electronic piece of sh*t) have locked itself in Bi-level.. what more can happen?? oh yes today when it was raining outside i saw that the park brake warning lamp is glowing a little even when the ignition is off.
    i still like the trucks appearance but i'm concidering if it's worth all the electronic nightmares that can occur..

The issues that you report aren't exactly uncharacteristic of these trucks, BUT having all of them all in one vehicle certainly is. I don't know if you got a lemon, or if someone dumped a wrecked repair on you. Do you know the history?

The cracked head is the really odd one.

Is the oil pressure gauge reading properly?

There may be a programming update for the HVAC regarding door operation/position. I know that there was one for my 2005. I have the computer climate control on all 3 of my trucks and I absolutely love it.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Talking

QUOTE=Kennedy;240128]My guess is that the previous owner did something with the computer that copy protected/locked it.

About the only suggestion that I have is that we can exchange it and hope that a different one works. Before we go to shipping Internationally, I'll try to set up an email conversation between you and Diablo Tech to see if they have any further ideas. If it is truly locked it just isn't going to communicate. We can set up a different PCM from salvage, but then you may as well upgrade to my Kennedy Custom tuning.[/QUOTE]

I tried the Predator in 2003 on my truck and it would not work. After a couple of upgrades I finally moved on and tried about every tuner I could find. Then I installed a BD turbo and nothing that I could find would supply enough fuel to feed the the Turbo until I purchased the Kennedy ECM, 100HP/250HP version. Now my truck is unbeleivable I drive it daily on the 100HP tune and when the need arises I flip the switch to 250HP setting...........all I can say is WOW!!!!

If you really want the best give John a call and let him fix you up with a custome tune for your truck, you won't be sorry.

A couple of weeks ago I ran my truck here locally at Firebird Raceway. The ET was 13:34 @ 105.65 MPH. Truck weighed 7800# with leer camper shell, bed slide, approx. 30 gal. fuel (57 Gal. Supertant) and my 250lbs. Not to bad for a street driver and tow vehicle.
    '03 Chev Duramax ext. cab, Kennedy ECM,After Market turbo,tranny, triple disk convertor, Exhaust Brake, electric tran. cooler, dual exhaust, Supertank 57 gallon.

i found a company here that can unlock and update my PCM for just 130$, i thought it could cost at least 500 so i'm satisfied with that price, if it will make it work..
    it's the same company that sells the 6.5TD scan program and i was very surprised when i saw that they have an ad here on TDP, Engh's motor.

i nearly forgot about this therad but i got the problem fixed, my PCM was locked and i sent it to Engh motors, he didn't manage to unlock it because it wasn't responding, so i got another PCM in which he downloaded a software for my VIN.
    then it worked fine to use the predator, i chosed the 85Hp tune and it's more than i expected but it would be nice with a little more smoke now when i have a exhaust stack..