Thread: 02 Chevy Duramax fuel pump

Exclamation 02 Chevy Duramax fuel pump

I bought my husband a Banks 6 gun for his 2002 Chevy Duramax as a wedding present. Him and a couple of friends put it in no problem but now he wants to turn his fuel pump up. How in the heck is he supposed to do it? He looked in the owner's manual and found nothing. Can someone please help!!!!

Smile

The stock DMAX fuel pump does not "TURN UP". I don't personally deal with AFTERMARKET add ons. I like stock stuff. No major problems that way. Maybe that "Kennedy Diesel" guy might be able to help you. What does you husband plan to do with the truck? Is it a daily driver or an RV Hauler? I'm sure someone here will have some good sound advice for you. Good luck.
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

See I didn't know that. My husband and about 6 or 7 of his friends all have Duramax's and they are always trying to up each other. So being the "awesome" wife I bought the banks for him so he could go play with the boys lol. But on stage 2 he blows a little black but like most men (no offense) it wasn't enough black smoke for him. So he said that if he turns his fuel up or do whatever to make him blow more black smoke. Any suggestions????

In essence, the Banks system alreay 'turns up the pump' - albeit electronically, not mechanically...as he is searching for. Black smoke is not a good thing, it is unburnt fuel, wasted power, and potentially deadly heat to the exhaust valves in the engine...

However, the system you purchased has alot of safeguards built in to keep your hubby's Duramax engine in one peice, no matter how much he 'turns up the volume'. The Banks system is a well tested one, with safeguards if things get too hot with the engine's exhaust.

My advice would be to buy him a new 4" cat-back exhaust system for that year/make/model truck this Christmas - and tell him that the truck seems 'much, much, faster' after he takes you on the first test drive with it installed.

He'll be happy for another year - as he should be - because he's married to you and you buy him performance parts for Christmas!!! Shheeez!
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I thought he would have been happy getting a programmer and gauges for a wedding present but i guess not!!! I guess its a guy thing!

Arrow

Like Mark said, the pump is "turned up" with the Six Gun (or other power adder). If the truck has stock exhaust and a stock tranny, it's already in the "red" zone. You can make more noise, but it won't go any faster (most often, it'll go slower, until it won't go at all). Black smoke is bad on modern electronic Diesels. The power adders make black smoke by "lying" to the computer. When we "lie" to the computer, we also check a lot of the protection features at the door. Late model Diesel engines are designed to not smoke. The fueling is dependent on the actual intake air (it has an active MAF sensor). The only way around this is to lie to the computer (or break it). If he wants more smoke, buy a lot of tires. That's not a problem (costly though).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com