Thread: DPF an issue or not?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DPF an issue or not?

Gents,

Had a 2002 Duramax that was just fine....sold it when I sold the horses....now looking at a new 2500 crew cab long box...was thinking about another Dmax but I talked to the lead mechanic at the dealership and he just about steered me away from the DMAX because of the DPF. Said if you drive it around town the DPF doesn't really get hot enough to regen properly and you can then get it clogged and it goes into limp mode. Nothing to do but limp to the dealer.

So, it anyone else having any trouble with the DPF? Is this guy right or just full of baloney?

I asked him how many DMAX's he has had DPF trouble with and he got real evasive and said "well, they only beneout for 6 months."

Your thoughts please....

Thanks,

Slim Wallet
    2008 DMAX, 4wd, LB, CC
    SRW, 265/70/17

If you never take it out of the city and idle constantly it's possible to have a problem.

BUT the system warns you when it starting to load up and tells you it time to regenerate. If you ignore the warnings eventually you may have to take it in for a service regen.

It only takes 30 mins to regenerate and the owners manual tells you how to drive to clean it properly.

DPF's are on all the new diesels so it's not like you can avoid one by switching brands.

Obviously I am a retard but what is a DPF? Is this the new emissions box on all 2007 and new diesels?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    Obviously I am a retard but what is a DPF? Is this the new emissions box on all 2007 and new diesels?
    DPF = Diesel [exhaust] Particulate Filter

Mandated for production on-highway, and some off-highway and stationary, Diesel platforms, beginning January 1, 2007 (applies to GM 2007.5+ M/Y). Early 2007 vehicles manufactured before January 1, 2007 are not mandated.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Mav, can off road diesel be run in these vehicles equipped with DPF ?
    Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    DPF = Diesel [exhaust] Particulate Filter

Mandated for production on-highway, and some off-highway and stationary, Diesel platforms, beginning January 1, 2007 (applies to GM 2007.5+ M/Y). Early 2007 vehicles manufactured before January 1, 2007 are not mandated.

Off road Diesel should be the same (15ppm) as road fuel. Heating oil may still be higher is sulphur and will damage the DPF. Around here no one is supposed to deliver heating oil anywhere except tanks connected to heating systems. All ag deliveries and off road is just road fuel with red dye.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    I am learning as well. Don't feel like the lone ranger