Thread: Help with No Start - ZF 6 Speed

Question Help with No Start - ZF 6 Speed

I currently have a situation where I have no cranking from the starter.

Everything was fine until Friday night after work. After exiting the local grocery store I attempted to start the truck and all I got was a click from somewhere under the dash.
    My first thought was batteries since they were almost eight years old. I knew I had a bad connection on one and when I attempted to take it apart it promptly broke right out of the battery. With the help of a few guys I push started the truck and went home.
    The next day I replaced both batteries and I still have just a click under the dash when I turn the key.
    So I have two questions:
    1) Could it be the safety start switch on the clutch or is there a starter relay that could have blown?
    2) Would you reccomend taking it to the dealer or could my local Goodyear Service place ( this is where I get all my non Diesel Service done) handle fixing either of the above things?

Could it be something else? Maybe the cable to the starter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    2001 GMC 2500HD Ext cab SB Dmax 6 speed
    86 6.2D
    79 5.7D
    D.P. member # 1885
    Ontario Plate "DMAX DSL"

Arrow

The click you're hearing is likely the starter relay, which is located in the underhood electrical center. If that is the relay that's clicking, your clutch lockout sw is OK.

Put a test light on the starter's "start" terminal. You should see 12v when the key is rotated to the crank position. If you do, and the starter won't spin, you might need a new starter solenoid (or rebuilt starter), assuming the batts and cables are OK.

Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim.

I left the truck with the Goodyear tech and within an hour I had a call to say that a safety start relay had been ordered. It turned out to be a $100 dollar part but at least it is fixed!!!!

Thanks,
    2001 GMC 2500HD Ext cab SB Dmax 6 speed
    86 6.2D
    79 5.7D
    D.P. member # 1885
    Ontario Plate "DMAX DSL"

Crafty,

Mine was doing the same thing only when it was hot. It was the starter but with 325,000 miles, I can't complain.

Mike
    2002 GMC, Pretty Dark Blue, 4x4 / 3500, ZF6, 115 gal spare tank and Rockets... (My Other One): Flying Fuel. I got three engines and a 52,000 gallon tank, how many you got?